Arts Centre's tribute to John Peel
Bands inspired and championed by the late John Peel will be taking part in Norwich's own tribute to the legendary DJ. Bearsuit, Magoo, The Research, and Fonda 500 are just some of the acts already signed up to appear on the bill for the event, John Peel: An Appreciation, at the Norwich Arts Centre this Saturday.
Bands inspired and championed by the late John Peel will be taking part in Norwich's own tribute to the legendary DJ.
Bearsuit, Magoo, The Research, and Fonda 500 are just some of the acts already signed up to appear on the bill for the event, John Peel: An Appreciation, at the Norwich Arts Centre later this month.
The former Radio One DJ, 65, who died last month after suffering a heart attack while on holiday in Cuzco, Peru, with his wife Sheila, was a former patron of the St Benedict's Street venue.
Stuart Hobday, centre manager, said he wanted to celebrate the life of Mr Peel by holding an evening of music and anecdotes from local bands and people who knew him in the main hall.
“Members of Norwich-based bands, such as Peel favourites Bearsuit and Magoo, will be DJing in the bar and featuring many tracks from the legendary Peel sessions,” he said.
“There will also be personal reminisces from some that knew and worked with him and details of Festive 50s down the years will be displayed.
- 1 Body found in the sea at Great Yarmouth
- 2 Holiday Inn to become 'care hotel' to help struggling hospitals
- 3 North Norfolk road closed with drivers asked to avoid area
- 4 Norwich firm part of growing number of businesses working four day weeks
- 5 One of East Anglia's largest property builders is sold to investment firm
- 6 Popular teacher, 55, died after falling down stairs, inquest hears
- 7 Teenager died of injuries six days after crash
- 8 John Lewis CCTV footage leads to Norwich gun arrests
- 9 A year on: Tributes to teacher who died following tumour diagnosis
- 10 1920s bungalow up for sale in one of the Broads' most sought-after villages
“This night is a reflection of the depth of feeling that occurred on the news of John's death among all those who work and use the Arts Centre.”
Mr Hobday said Mr Peel had been a patron of the arts centre for more than 10 years and came to see bands there two or three times a year.
“His support for a small venue such as the Arts Centre was invaluable in continuing to be able to put on up and coming bands,” he said.
“We just hope that we are able to carry on in the pioneering spirit in which he presented music.”
The event takes place at the Norwich Arts Centre on Saturday, November, 27 from 8pm.
“We hope that anybody influenced by John Peel in anyway will come down to the Arts Centre for what is going to be a poignant and memorable evening,” said Mr Hobday.
Lisa Horton, 28, from Norwich, a singer in the six piece-band Bearsuit, said she was proud to be appearing as part of the tribute to Mr Peel.
“Obviously he's someone that will be very sorely missed,” she said. “He helped so many local bands especially. His death was really very shocking and really sad.”
Tickets for the event are priced at £4 and will be available from the box office on (01603) 660352.