An Audience with Ann Widdecombe
Sheringham Little Theatre
Had I stumbled into a pre-election rally for the North Norfolk Conservative Association? It was billed as a show for the general public, a conversation with political commentator Iain Dale.
What followed was certainly not a conversation, the public was anything but general and Mr Dale metamorphosed from commentator to local Tory parliamentary candidate. Introduced as “the blonde bombshell star of Celebrity Fit Club”, what we got was the indomitable Ann Widdecombe, preaching to the Party faithful, peddling her unique matron-knows-best brand of no nonsense absolutes and “no-sex-no-violence-no-swearing” novels.
I almost felt sorry for Mr Dale: in part one, he dutifully provided the prompts; but in part two, with the audience asking the questions, Miss Widdecombe took over and he sat like a lost prop which the crew had forgotten to remove.
Appearing somewhat bored in part one, in part two she was in full flow. Showing no signs of self-doubt or intellectual equivocation, she pontificated on subjects from the euro (anti) to Clare Short (behaved badly) with some didactic stunners: “We (the Conservatives) are naturally the most inclusive party” and “There is a huge moral imperative to create wealth.”
You may also want to watch:
From the outset, Ann Widdecombe had the sell-out audience laughing at her jokes, concurring with her views and applauding her exhortations.
Feeling very much in the minority, I rushed away at the close like a fox from the hounds.
- 1 Travellers camped at garden centre car park
- 2 Ex-head charged with sex attacks on boys at Norfolk school
- 3 'It's not even that short' - schoolboy, 14, put in isolation due to haircut
- 4 Tattoo studio owner fined after refusing to close in lockdown
- 5 'Someone will get hurt' - Frustration over pothole near Norwich surgery
- 6 Elton John to kick off UK leg of farewell tour at Carrow Road
- 7 James Bond themed windmill owned by 007 star for rent
- 8 Norwich City drop huge hint of global star gig at Carrow Road
- 9 Photo shows car inches from knocking cyclist off road
- 10 'An insult to the city': Couple ditch 'hellhole' hotel after 45 minutes