Am-dram group's phone hitch
RICHARD PARR Even before the curtain rises and a note of music has been sung a Norfolk amateur theatre group has become involved in an unexpected off-stage drama.Members of Fakenham & District Light Operatic Society have been busy preparing for their 40th anniversary production of Barry Manilow's hit musical, Copacabana.
Even before the curtain rises and a note of music has been sung a Norfolk amateur theatre group has become involved in an unexpected off-stage drama.
Members of Fakenham & District Light Operatic Society have been busy preparing for their 40th anniversary production of Barry Manilow's hit musical, Copacabana.
But they had not reckoned on gremlins getting into the telephone network and causing problems for people calling their box office to book tickets.
While the telephone line rings as normal it just rings and rings and rings, and, because of an underground technical fault, it cannot be answered by the box office staff.
With the show's opening night set for May 15, Society members are concerned that people will be put off when they hear a ring tone but the call is not picked-up.
- 1 M&S to close 32 stores as part of move away from town centres
- 2 WATCH: 'Unplayable' delivery from Suffolk bowler goes viral
- 3 Farmer says cousin's wedding venue will bring 'criminal activity'
- 4 Men fined more than £600 for fishing illegally
- 5 A47 clears following long delays after four-vehicle crash
- 6 The best places to eat in north Norfolk according to The Good Food Guide
- 7 Green light for new Sainsbury's store on 850-home estate
- 8 Factory worker was found dead at home, court told
- 9 Norwich man wins jackpot on BBC game show Pointless
- 10 Norfolk garden centre wins 27th gold medal at Chelsea Flower Show
Veteran FADLOS member and committee member Richard Tree, who is cast as bad guy Rico in the show, said that the problems of the number continually ringing is due to a underground fault. Engineers have promised to rectify the problem over the weekend.
“We want to stress to people that there is no point in ringing the advertised box office number because it will not be answered. We have instead arranged for Doreen Goodberry to take calls on her own mobile telephone. It is not an ideal situation but it is an emergency,” said Mr Tree. Mrs Goodberry's number is 079579 67714. Personal callers are, of course, still able to visit the Box office between 11am and 2pm Monday to Saturday.
“This problem , over which we have no control, couldn't have come at a worse time for us with opening night and run of the show just days away. We are involved in drama even before we have got onto the stage,” said Mr Tree.
Copacabana opens at Fakenham Community Centre on May 15 and continues until May 19.