Am-dram group's phone hitch
RICHARD PARR Even before the curtain rises and a note of music has been sung a Norfolk amateur theatre group has become involved in an unexpected off-stage drama.Members of Fakenham & District Light Operatic Society have been busy preparing for their 40th anniversary production of Barry Manilow's hit musical, Copacabana.
Even before the curtain rises and a note of music has been sung a Norfolk amateur theatre group has become involved in an unexpected off-stage drama.
Members of Fakenham & District Light Operatic Society have been busy preparing for their 40th anniversary production of Barry Manilow's hit musical, Copacabana.
But they had not reckoned on gremlins getting into the telephone network and causing problems for people calling their box office to book tickets.
You may also want to watch:
While the telephone line rings as normal it just rings and rings and rings, and, because of an underground technical fault, it cannot be answered by the box office staff.
With the show's opening night set for May 15, Society members are concerned that people will be put off when they hear a ring tone but the call is not picked-up.
- 1 Woman injured by jars of sauce thrown in Sainsbury's
- 2 Top of the Pops dancer, Octopussy star and 'Lord' settles in Norfolk
- 3 Reduce your dementia risk with 7 lifestyle changes
- 4 Heavy downpours and strong winds to batter Norfolk
- 5 Wanted Norwich man arrested in north Norfolk village
- 6 Man exposed himself to three teenage girls at Morrisons
- 7 BBC Springwatch films at Norfolk nature haven - with beavers
- 8 Norfolk farmhouse with indoor pool for sale by online auction
- 9 'They thought I was crazy' - New owner's lockdown pub success
- 10 Walk-in vaccine clinic as surplus stock becomes available
Veteran FADLOS member and committee member Richard Tree, who is cast as bad guy Rico in the show, said that the problems of the number continually ringing is due to a underground fault. Engineers have promised to rectify the problem over the weekend.
“We want to stress to people that there is no point in ringing the advertised box office number because it will not be answered. We have instead arranged for Doreen Goodberry to take calls on her own mobile telephone. It is not an ideal situation but it is an emergency,” said Mr Tree. Mrs Goodberry's number is 079579 67714. Personal callers are, of course, still able to visit the Box office between 11am and 2pm Monday to Saturday.
“This problem , over which we have no control, couldn't have come at a worse time for us with opening night and run of the show just days away. We are involved in drama even before we have got onto the stage,” said Mr Tree.
Copacabana opens at Fakenham Community Centre on May 15 and continues until May 19.