Almeida Opera, Snape
CHRISTOPHER SMITH The 55th Aldeburgh Festival opened at Snape Maltings with brilliant singing and challenging originality.
The 55th Aldeburgh Festival opened at Snape Maltings with brilliant singing and challenging originality.
The starting point was a performance of Arias in Italian from Handel's Triumph of Time and Truth.
Conducted by Gary Cooper, an assured quartet gave a delightful account of the long embroidered vocal lines, with the top-flight counter-tenor William Purefoy revelling in his fearless prowess. Addressing all the singers, were the female or males as St Trinians' girls raised giggles early on. It was only later that more interesting points emerged with the first staged performance of Gerald Barry's Triumph of Beauty and Deceit, which had previously been seen only on Channel 4.
You may also want to watch:
Produced on sets of his own design by Nigel Lowery and with the Birmingham Contemporary Music Group directed by Thomas Ades, this opera explored allegorical themes related to those behind the Handel work. Librettist Meredith Oakes ensured that there were plenty of intriguing differences for the composer to reflect.
The singing was highly accomplished with every requirement matched. No less striking was the gradual emergence of a musical style that became an expressive norm, thanks to self-confident persistence.
- 1 'An insult to the city': Couple ditch 'hellhole' hotel after 45 minutes
- 2 Hundreds give amazing send-off to well-loved supermarket worker
- 3 Former Norwich boxing champion banned from contacting ex-partner
- 4 Road cleared after overturned lorry on A47/A11 Thickthorn roundabout
- 5 Revealed: Norfolk's hotspots for Japanese Knotweed in 2021
- 6 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after woman found dead in flat
- 7 New Lidl stores to open in Norfolk and Waveney in £1.3bn expansion
- 8 Tractors and harvesters sold as farming family retires after 100 years
- 9 Air ambulance called to person's aid in Dereham
- 10 Matt Hancock faces calls to resign after allegation of affair with aide