Youngsters given a chance to shine in League Cup for King’s Lynn Town
- Credit: IAN BURT
A talented reserve-team trio will be given the chance to impress Gary Setchell tonight when they start for King's Lynn Town in the Doodson Sports Cup.
Goalkeeper Bradley Stewart, defender Chris Ward and midfielder Shaun Stocker will feature for the Linnets in their League Cup first round clash at Worksop Town. Setchell will blood the threesome alongside a host of first-team players and feels they deserve the opportunity to appear for the club's senior side.
Setchell, who will be without suspended defender Jason Lee this evening, said: 'Brad has played excellently for the reserves and has got a good pedigree. Chris Ward went to play for Dereham at Step Four and Matt Henman was really impressed. And Shaun Stocker has been a little bit on the fringes for the best part of a year and has played for the county and the English Schools.
'They've all earned their right to get a chance in a really low-pressure game and hopefully they'll do well alongside senior players like Jordan Yong, Dan Quigley and Gary Mills.'
The Lynn boss insists he will be fielding a stronger line-up than he did during last year's League Cup exit at the same stage to Stamford because he is unsure how Worksop will treat the competition.
You may also want to watch:
'We knew Stamford would make changes so we played seven or eight reserve teamers,' said Setchell. 'But we won't be doing that tonight. It just wouldn't be fair on the young lads.'
- 1 Norwich sees biggest rise in Covid infection rates in the country
- 2 Hotel 'nobody wants to buy' for sale as housing for £365,000
- 3 Aviva to close two large office sites in Norwich
- 4 Nine Norfolk flood alerts ahead of Storm Christoph
- 5 Man who died in west Norfolk crash named
- 6 Man who drove 128 miles for fish and chips among latest Covid fines
- 7 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street
- 8 Delivery van towed from deep water on road closed due to flood risk
- 9 Going full term during this coronavirus pandemic fills me with absolute terror
- 10 Carer caught on CCTV letting dog scratch vulnerable pensioner