Yachtsmen keep up the pressure

JONATHAN REDHEAD RIDGEONS LEAGUE: Wroxham kept up the pressure at the top of the Ridgeons League Premier Division after victory at struggling Diss.


Wroxham kept up the pressure at the top of the Ridgeons League Premier Division after victory at struggling Diss.

A penalty in each half from Justin Fox was enough for the Yachtsmen to stay in touch with leaders Mildenhall who had a comfortable 4-2 home victory over Woodbridge.

Those results mean Wroxham are three points behind Mildenhall but have two games in hand on the leaders.

The Yachtsmen could go top of the table tomorrow evening when they take on Halstead thanks to a vastly superior goal difference than the Suffolk side.

Elsewhere there were victories for neighbours Kirkley and Lowestoft as they too try to stay in the hunt for honours at the end of the season.

Most Read

Kirkley had an impressive 4-0 win away at Felixstowe and Walton.

They gave a debut to 16-year-old Ian Dawson, but it was Carl Chenery who grabbed the spotlight as he headed his side into a second minute lead.

Just a couple of minutes before the interval, the Blues doubled their lead when Danny Stokeld out-jumped the home goalkeeper to head home.

With the game in their hands, substitute Ben Goddard tapped home a third on 75 minutes and with time running out, Nathan Stone wrapped up a comprehensive victory with the fourth.

Meanwhile, champions Lowestoft needed two second half goals for victory against third-placed Needham Market at Crown Meadow. Reece Hunn and Richard Woodrow found the net to give Town a two-goal lead and a late Needham effort was merely a consolation.

Dereham Town twice held the lead against Harwich and Parkeston but had to be content with a draw after the Essex side pulled the game back for a 2-2 draw.

Adam Gusterson gave the Magpies the lead at Aldiss Park from the penalty spot but the visitors equalised through Jimmy Chatters after 16 minutes.

Centre forward Danny Wright restored the home side's advantage in the 26th minute when he tucked home a Jordan Blythe through ball.

But the visitors got back on level terms in the 48th minute when Gusterson conceded a penalty and Liam Springett tucked home the spot kick.

A Luke Kennedy equaliser was enough for Wisbech Town to earn a 1-1 draw against Clacton at Fenland Park, while King's Lynn Reserves also claimed a point after a goalless stalemate at Stanway Rovers.

In Ridgeons Division One, Great Yarmouth Town were on the end of a 6-0 hammering at Debenham LC, where Jopling bagged a hat-trick against the hapless Bloaters.

Swaffham took another step towards promotion with a 3-1 win at Emerald Park against Gorleston. The Pedlars took the lead after 12 minutes when Gavin Norman finished well at the far post.

Aaron Butcher doubled the lead with a free-kick and then bagged his second in the second half. Peter Lambert bagged a consolation for the Greens.

Thetford Town battled to a 1-0 victory at home to managerless Fakenham Town thanks to an Armes goal ten minutes from time.

Elsewhere, Downham managed a 1-1 draw at home to Tiptree.