Wymondham flex their muscles as they start Summer League in style
- Credit: Archant
After missing out on the NSMBA Summer League title by a whisker last season Wymondham started the new season in style racing to an 8-0 home win against Watton.
The visitors had endured a nightmare start to their Division One campaign losing their opening two league games 8-0 while conceding 204 shots and scoring just 59.
Any hopes that their season would start to show an improvement quickly evaporated as the powerful Wymondham side turned up the heat right from the start. Brian Saunders, John Jeffery & Chris Mann beat Malcolm Southgate's triple 30-4 while Pat Saunders, Debbie Sparham & Jack Pye beat Roger Braham's triple 29-7. The second half saw Wymondham hand a club debut to talented young bowler Jack Marshall as lead in Jack Pye's triple and he impressed in a massive 35-2 win against Malcolm Southgate's triple.
Hayley Stratton also made an appearance in the second half as lead in Chris Mann's triple as they won by 20-9 against Roger Braham.
This left Wymondham, wearing their new shirts sponsored by Wymondham Veterinary Clinic, celebrating a maximum home win by 114 shots to 22. With neither Mark Linsdell or Jon Sparham playing this summer Jack Pye took over the captaincy and will be delighted with this result but he will know that losing two quality players from the team will not help him in his quest to beat defending champions Bob Carter to the title.
You may also want to watch:
Other changes at the club have seen Chris Mann elected as vice captain in the summer and Melvyn Barker replacing Mary Fisher as chairperson. Mary was congratulated for her commitment to the club and her efforts while in the role.
The Afternoon Summer League, comprising of Thetford, Hingham, Harling, Shropham & Watton, began with Hingham entertaining Thetford. The visitors, Norfolk's newest club, will be delighted with the result as they held Hingham to a 4-4 draw. Thetford's Chloe Suffolk, Dave Bourne & Keiran Suffolk won 12-7 while Peter Scarborough's triple added a tight 10-9 win. Hingham's wins were earned by Cynthia Powell, Colin Harris & Keith Thomas with a 14-7 victory and Eric Frary, Mary Potter & Jane Frary who won 9-8.
- 1 Town's country park remains closed after woman's body discovered
- 2 Boss puts Queen Anne family home up for sale for £1.325m
- 3 Drivers delivering for Amazon have hundreds of pounds of pay withheld
- 4 Norwich takeaway's food poisoning complaint investigation closed
- 5 Suspected drink driver charged after police dog tracks down man hiding in a ditch
- 6 Peter Crouch drove to Yarmouth while on Norwich loan - and wasn't impressed
- 7 Prince Philip memorial erected in town park just a day after his death
- 8 The Original Factory Shop set to open in Cromer
- 9 Woman cut from car after crash on A11
- 10 EFL announce revised schedule to avoid Prince Philip funeral clash