Wymondham 52, Southwold 12

Josh Mickleburgh powers above the line for Wymondham against Southwold on Saturday.

Josh Mickleburgh powers above the line for Wymondham against Southwold on Saturday. - Credit: Archant

Wymondham got the result they needed against Southwold to move to within one win of the Greene King Eastern Counties Division One title.

The first period of pressure came from Southwold and it was only stopped when an expert piece of timing by Alex Brugger allowed him to intercept a pass out wide and race through for a good try which was converted by Steve Simms.

The visitors continued to impress and missed a penalty before good work from Dave Blake, Chris Miller, Henry Petch and Andy Mackay produced quick ball via Harry Anderson-Brown to Simms and he made the room for Matt Ambrose to score a unconverted try out wide.

Wymondham gradually began to take control and a good break from Onisimo Sigakalele nearly allowed Brugger to score his second try after 32 minutes.

The forwards were now beginning to get some effective rolling mauls going and from one of these Anderson-Brown fed Simms who used the dummy runs of Tom Wilson and Nicky Ferns to score a try under the posts which he himself converted to make it 19-0 after 35 minutes.

You may also want to watch:

A few minutes later a clearance kick by a Southwold defender was pounced on by Wilson who advanced and fed Simms, allowing him this time to use the outside support of David Martin and Ferns to fool the defence once again and score a bonus point try which he also converted.

Some hard talking was done by the coaches at the interval as it had taken quite a while for the hosts to get their game going. They kicked-off the second half and immediately the pack started to play like they can. Wymondham kept up the pressure and from a good blindside move off the scrum Josh Wright fed Anderson-Brown and the ball travelled via Sigakalele to Martin who scored a good converted try and made the score 33-0 after 50 minutes.

Most Read

As the pressure was kept on a yellow card was awarded and the hosts dropped to 14 for the next 10 minutes. But great counter-rucking by Wright won the ball which allowed Rob King to make a good break and feed Martin who again outpaced the defenders to score a converted try.

After returning to 15 men Wymondham seemed to relax and a good, converted try was scored by Southwold's forwards to make the score 40-7. Wilson then produced a break and chip ahead which he collected himself and fed King who was only stopped by a brilliant tackle. However, the forwards took the ball on and Josh Mickleburgh scored an unconverted try.

Good work by Wright, Blake and Mackay allowed Wilson to again make a great break and then feed Sigakalele who scorched in to score a converted try.

Southwold still did not stop their endeavours and were rewarded with an unconverted try right at the death to make the final score 52-12.

Wymondham are now two points behind leaders Ipswich YM, who have completed their fixtures. They face a tricky away fixture on Saturday at Mersea Island where they must win to finish top of the league and gain automatic promotion.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter