Wroxham go five clear at top of Ridgeons League

Wroxham swept five points clear at the top of the Premier Division on a perfect day for David Batch's Yachstmen.

After winning 3-0 at home to Woodbridge, Wroxham learned that both title rivals, Ely and Brantham Athletic, had been beaten and with five games left to play, the title is now the Norfolk side's to lose.

Woodbridge had beaten Ely 6-0 in their previous match but were unable to claim another notable scalp. The hosts went ahead on 15 minutes as Ross Durrant crossed for Matt Blake and he marked his return from injury by turning and firing past the keeper.

Blake soon departed with a recurrence of his ankle injury and the hosts also lost Gavin Lemmon with a back problem.

Woodbridge thought they had equalised at the start of the second half when Scott Howie could not hold a long range shot and Allician Blake poked home the rebound, but it was ruled out for offside.

Two minutes later, Wroxham went further in front after being awarded a free-kick 10 yards out following a back pass to the keeper. Andy Eastaugh rolled the ball to Matty Daniels and he squeezed his shot through the massed ranks on the Woodbridge goal-line.

The roles from that goal were reversed in the 60th minute as Daniels crossed for Eastaugh to score his 11th of the season.

Most Read

Brantham are now nine points behind Wroxham – who visit Dereham today (3) – after their 1-0 defeat at Diss, who picked up their seventh win in eight games. The only goal came in the 55th minute, when leading scorer James Pipe exchanged passes with Stuart Jopling and floated his shot into the net. Brantham twice hit the bar and had a penalty appeal turned down, while Diss keeper Matty Webster made a crucial save in injury time.

Ely, meanwhile, lost 4-2 at home to Stanway Rovers.

Norwich United moved up to seventh by beating Mildenhall 1-0 at Plantation Park.

Ross King scored after six minutes with a header following a Carl Poppy free-kick wide on the right.

The Planters had a couple of appeals for penalties turned down but held on to win.

Relegated Great Yarmouth, who visit neighbours Gorleston today, produced a spirited display in a 2-0 defeat at Wisbech. The high-flying hosts looked set to cash in when Chris Bacon fired the Fenmen in front after just six minutes following a corner. The Bloaters spurned several chances to pull level before the break, and paid the price when Wisbech doubled their advantage four minutes into the second half. Bacon was this time the provider, crossing for Denny Escorcio to score.

Kirkley & Pakefield all but secured their Premier Division status with a crushing 6-1 win at fellow strugglers Wivenhoe.

Russell Stock fired a hat-trick for the Royals, while Michael Tacon bagged a brace and Ryan Crisp was also on target.

Gorleston picked up a 1-0 victory at Newmarket, with Gary Williams firing the winner for the Greens.

Dereham keeper Chris Horton missed the first 20 minutes of his side's match at Hadleigh – and when he finally arrived he conceded four times as the Magpies lost 4-1.

Gary Starling had a free-kick strike disallowed before Ben Deacon scored a hat-trick late in the first half to put the hosts firmly in charge.

Deacon added his fourth after the break and although Jordan Rocastle pulled one back for Dereham, they slipped down to eighth in the table.

Thetford remain just ahead of Godmanchester in the race for the First Division title – but their superior goal difference was significantly diminished.

Matt Dixon converted a 35th minute penalty to secure victory for Thetford at Brightlingsea, who had a man sent off in the second half.

Godmanchester kept up the pressure by hammering bottom side Cornard 10-0. Alex Vincent scored for Swaffham in a 2-1 defeat to third-placed Whitton, while Fakenham lost 1-0 at Ipswich Wanderers.