Wroxham drop points to lowly rivals after controversial game

Surprise of the day in the Ridgeons Premier Division was second-placed Wroxham being held to a draw by basement side Brantham – despite having two players more by the end of the game after a flurry of red cards.

It was definitely a missed opportunity for Wroxham in a generally poor display.

The sides shared four goals with one Wroxham man and three of the visitors' players being sent off in a match full of controversy.

Wroxham manager David Batch said he would be lodging a complaint, but admitted: 'It's a shame, but we didn't play particularly well and didn't take enough of the good chances we created and gave away two penalties.

'The last three league goals conceded have been penalties. While that's the only way people are scoring against us, it's not helpful.'

The Yachtsmen take a break from league action for two weeks now – playing Cromer in the Norfolk Senior Cup on Friday and then St Ives in the FA Vase third round the folllowing Saturday.

Shaun Howes hit the first penalty after 26 minutes after Andrew French had been sent off for a late tackle.

Most Read

On 75 minutes Brantham equalised, again from the spot, through David Grimwood. Then Gary Gilmore scored the Yachtsmen's second after Jamie Atkins had made amends for giving away the earlier penalty by putting in a great ball from the right.

Adam Bloss was sent off for a late challenge then Gavin Lemmon also got his marching orders from the referee. Olly Mann made it all square at 2-2 with yet another penalty before Jack Sibbons was sent off.

Kirkley & Pakefield's hopes of pushing up the table took a knock when they lost 2-0 at home to FC Clacton, who are in the bottom half of the table.

The Suffolk side lost to two second-half goals but were unlucky not to get more from the game as keeper Paul Rutherford was in sparkling form. Clacton took the lead after Liam Coleman curled in a brilliant 20-yard free-kick.

The hosts conceded again as the referee awarded a penalty for a hand-ball by Ryan De Coteau and Kevin Coyle rifled the spot-kick home.

Meanwhile, Norwich United's run of three wins on the trot was ended at Leiston who won 2-0. The high-flying hosts had Gareth Heath and Danny Smy to thank for their win despite a spirited rearguard action.

United boss Paul Chick was full of praise for his side after the game, saying: 'We defended well against a very good side. Jon Lovelock had a solid debut and Aarron Taylor had another good game at right-back.'

At Yarmouth, in-form Woodbridge hit the only goal of a low-key game in the 13th minute after a mix-up in defence allowed James Hubbard to get on the scoresheet.

The Bloaters are still seeking their first home win of the season, having drawn five and lost five of their games at the Wellesley.

Dereham Town stay clear at the top of the table after a 2-0 win at Newmarket with Danny Beaumont and Craig Bussens netting.

It was goals galore as Wisbech returned from Wivenhoe with all the points after winning 4-3 courtesy of strikdes from A Furnell, M Lunn, C Reed and A Turner.

There was also plenty of goalmouth action at Histon Reserves when Ely hit their hosts for six, with two in reply. On the scoresheet for Ely were R Mason with four and N Impey who notched a brace. Histon's goals were by J Dowie and T Wright.

Other results on Satuday saw Mildenhall lose 2-1 at Haverhill, Hadleigh 4-1 victors at Debenham LC, hosts Stanway Rovers beat CRC 3-0 while Walsham-le-Willows were 6-2 winners over visiting Felixstowe & Walton United.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter