Wroxham 3 Godalming Town 0: Morale-booster for Yachtsmen
- Credit: Eastern Daily Press © 2016
October 8 will be a date in the diary – Wroxham won for the first time this season.
Playing a team bottom of the Ryman Division One South in the FA Trophy preliminary round, Wroxham produced a display of control and skill at odds with a heavy pitch and a game that had its fair share of indiscipline.
Wroxham lined up with Pride in goal, a back four of Swatman, Clayton, Lewis and Plumstead, midfield of Cook, Fawkes, Datacampol and Platten with Gilfedder and debutant Davillian Katabana up front.
Wroxham took the lead through the first chance of the game. Platten worked well down the left to get the ball to Datacampol, who turned on to Katabana who chipped the ball into the right hand corner of the goal beyond the dive of keeper Garnes.
In the second half the match was hotly contested, but the Yachtsmen were winning all the key battles. On 72 minutes a free-kick from the right found Gilfedder free at the back post to bundle the ball home.
You may also want to watch:
Icing on the cake came in the last minute. Gs player boss was sent off for an elbow on late substitute Baughurst. He exacted instant karma as he turned home a cross from man of the match Ben Fowkes.
Many more wins are required to get Wroxham up the league, but this was a welcome morale boost.
- 1 'Too close to home': Neighbours' shock as body found at Mousehold Heath
- 2 Which? warning to avoid sun cream brand for children
- 3 Former hunting lodge for sale for £1.695m with huge lake
- 4 Man suffers injuries after road rage assault near retail park
- 5 Poultry company owner says food industry is at 'crisis point'
- 6 Never mind the limo - aspiring farmer rides tractor to prom night
- 7 Town's long wait for new £37m bypass nearly over as funding agreed
- 8 St Benedict's Street restaurant closes due to 'pingdemic'
- 9 Thunderstorms set to put dampener on weekend
- 10 Family's tribute to much loved motorcyclist, 21, involved in A10 crash