Wroxham 1 Thurrock 0 – Striker Davey off the mark as Yachtsmen get up and running in Ryman North
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2015
Nick Davey's glancing header gave the Yachtsmen their first win of the season in front of the home supporters, writes Tom Wardle.
David Hinton received the ball on the edge of the box from Jordan King before delivering a teasing cross which saw Davey apply the finishing touch to cap a spectacular first-half Wroxham display.
Thurrock started off well with Elliot Pride making a save and then breathing a sigh of relief after a Jordan Clark cross slipped through his hands and glanced off the crossbar. Jack Garrod, Steve Holder and Davey had sighters as the hosts responded well before the latter made the hosts' pressure tell.
The second half was a very different affair with neither team taking control of the game – although Wroxham always looked dangerous on the counter. With 20 minutes left, good passing between Jack Garrod and Jamie Forshaw released Holder whose effort scraped the outside of the post. The game finished with Thurrock pressing the Wroxham backline but Michael Sommerfield and Matt Halliday stood tall in a fantastic rearguard action.
Victorious boss Stewart Larter said: 'The team defended well after going 1-0 up and in reality Elliot Pride didn't have to make a save in the second period.
You may also want to watch:
'We have the same number of points as last season (at this stage) but have had a much harder start to the season this time around.
'Hopefully, the positivity shown out on the pitch is visible to all especially as every player is working hard'.
- 1 Town clerk sacked following months of controversy
- 2 'Sounded like my roof was coming off': RAF jet sonic boom heard over city
- 3 Village care home confirms coronavirus outbreak
- 4 Couple sell pub with Nelson link after council stops dream project
- 5 New drive-thru McDonald's to create 65 jobs
- 6 Flood alerts across Norfolk ahead of expected rain
- 7 Extent of Norwich Prison Covid outbreak revealed
- 8 Derelict pub on eyesore site could be turned into new Co-op store
- 9 Shop worker receives complaints for asking customers to wear face masks
- 10 Tributes to 'Winkle' - the legendary landlord who broke the mould
Ex-Wroxham winger Remy Gordon suffered a broken leg while playing for St Neots Town on Saturday. The former Norwich City Academy talent joined the Saints this summer but snapped his right fibula during Saturday's 3-2 home defeat to Poole.