Wroxham 1, Needham Market 1

Wroxham picked up their first point of 2013 with a draw at home to Needham Market on Saturday.

Manager David Batch again made changes to his starting line-up in a bid to find a winning formula following the New Year's Day defeat to AFC Sudbury.

He persevered with a 4-5-1 formation, but Matt Blake came in for Ben Thompson and skipper Gavin Lemmon was back after suspension, with Ben Lewis returning at right-back.

After a quiet opening to the game, Wroxham went close to opening the scoring on 23 minutes. Blake worked his way into the box on the left before delivering a low cross which found Ross Durrant at the far post and his pile-driver produced a fine save from Louis Johnson in the Needham goal.

The Yachtsmen went close again when a free-kick taken by Remy Gordon almost went in as Needham's Phil Boyland got his head on the ball but it went just wide for a Wroxham corner.

Another Gordon free-kick beat the Needham wall but Johnson saved easily.

Almost straight away the visitors broke to the other end and Rhys Henry, on loan from Leiston, got in a cross which hit Wroxham centre-back Josh Carus on the arm and referee John Steel awarded a penalty. Former Wroxham player Danny Bloomfield stepped up to take the spot-kick and sent Michael Hilton the wrong way to give the Marketmen the lead on 26 minutes.

Most Read

Wroxham were not behind for long, as three minutes later Blake played a fine cross field pass to Durrant, who ran on to fire a low shot past Johnson into the bottom corner.

After further pressure from the visitors the home side came close to scoring a second on 42 minutes when Carus' header from a corner was fumbled by the 'keeper but he recovered to make a brave save as Carus tried to force the rebound home.

In the second half, Blake headed just wide from a corner and Ben Jones was denied in a one-on-one with the keeper.

The game was stopped for a few minutes after Durrant was clattered by Needham's left back Matt Redgrave.

On 75 minutes a shot from Blake took a deflection and looped on to the top of the net for a corner which again brought no reward.

The visitors' best chance fell to substitute Duane Wright but his shot sailed over.

Gavin Lemmon had a chance to win the game for Wroxham on 86 minutes, but his half volley from just outside the area was well saved by Johnson.

• Wroxham: Hilton, Lewis, Gordon, Halliday, Carus, A Eastaugh, Durrant, Lemmon, Blake (Thompson 90+4), Jones, Daniels (Forshaw 56). Subs not used: McNeil, Harty, Speller.