Wroxham 1 Cheshunt 1: Finch rescue late point for Yachtsmen

Wroxham, blue, suffered late heartbreak on Saturday. Picture: STEVE ADAMS

Wroxham, blue, suffered late heartbreak on Saturday. Picture: STEVE ADAMS

Christy Finch's injury-time equaliser saved Wroxham's blushes in an underwhelming draw against Cheshunt.

Stewart Larter's men were dominant on the ball for much of the game but lacked the edge in the final third, with Finch's late heroics stealing a point that for much of the game never looked like coming.

Wroxham made two changes from the starting XI that beat AFC Sudbury 2-0 on Tuesday night, with Jordan Attree earning his first start at the expense of Jack Garrod and Danny Rust stepping in for Jordan King at the back.

The Yachtsmen had some good early possession, but the boggy pitch underfoot was making it difficult for any free-flowing passing from either side in a cagey opening.

While Wroxham were controlling the ball well, their opponents were arguably having the better of the openings, Adam Bolle testing Elliot Pride from 20 yards on 24 minutes, before the keeper clawed Mitch Hahn's cross away from the onrushing Allen Bossman.

You may also want to watch:

The away side seemed happy to sit back and hit their opponents on the break, a ploy that worked on 41 minutes as they took the lead.

David Hinton was guilty of giving the ball away and Cheshunt broke, Luke Illsley taking a touch before striking his effort past Pride – via a deflection off Andy Howell – and off the bar and in.

Most Read

The Yachtsmen almost gained an instant reply, Remy Gordon finding space down the right to fire across the box with goalkeeper Glenn Williamson in no-man's land, only for the clearance to deflect off David Kendall and over from three yards out.

Wroxham came out quickly in the second half but couldn't break down a stern Cheshunt defence, whilst their opponents continued to break quickly and cause problems for the home side's back four.

Stewart Larter thrust Nathan Stone into the action to try and gain a more physical presence up top, a tactic that almost worked on 68 minutes as the striker was inches away from tapping in Finch's ball in, only for Kendall to clear.

Pride then produced a superb fingertip save from Bolle's flicked header on 70 minutes – clawing away his effort at the back post – before Kendall missed a golden opportunity for the visitors with five minutes left, skewing his effort wide when free from six yards out. And they would live to rue these missed chances as Finch stole in at the death to snatch a point, hooking home Matt Halliday's flick on from Gordon's dinked cross to save Wroxham and earn a point.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter