Wroxham 0, Witham Town 1

Wroxham remain without a point from their opening two games in the Ryman League Division One South after losing the battle of the new boys at Trafford Park.

A first-half goal sealed the Yachtsmen's fate against a side which finished top of the Essex Senior League – and David Batch's men can have few complaints.

The visitors showed their intention early on, Joe Pearman volleying Josh Carus' clearance just over before William Hunt beat the offside trap but drove his shot wide of the far post. Wroxham's first sight of goal came on 18 minutes when Gavin Lemmon shot wide after being put through by Paul Cook.

Wroxham were indebted to keeper Michael Hilton for a fine stop to deny Hunt – but he went from hero to villain on 37 minutes when his poor clearance found its way to Hunt, whose shot slipped through the keeper's grasp.

Witham were well worth their half-time lead, but very nearly lost it when Matt Daniels saw a shot cleared off the line, before Cook blazed the follow-up shot wide.

Cook was denied by the keeper moments later but it was Witham who dominated possession in the second period, without ever really troubling Hilton again. With time running out winger Jason Fountaine almost made it 2-0, but slipped a shot wide of the far post.

n Wisbech Town moved to the top of the Thurlow Nunn League Premier Division last night when they hammered struggling Diss Town 6-0.

Most Read

The Fenmen scored all their goals in the opening 54 minutes with Callum Reed, Neal Spafford, Paul Cousins, Chris Bacon and Dubi Ogbonna on target. The other home goal was scored by Diss, who have now lost four of their five games.

Dereham will be aiming to make it four league wins out of four tonight – and regain top spot in the process – when they travel to Kirkley and Pakefield, who have won two and drawn one so far.

Thetford recorded their first win since gaining promotion to the top flight when they came away from Norwich United with a 2-1 victory.

The Planters made a great start, with Mark Baxter driving home a Louis Cutajar cutback after just two minutes, but they were unable to maintain the momentum and Town equalised on 58 minutes when Liam Bolton volleyed past Ben Nower.

The winner came two minutes from the end with Tom Cusack firing home from just outside the box.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter