World Cup winner Martin Corry backs Norfolk star Tom Youngs
- Credit: PA
England's 2003 World Cup winner Martin Corry has backed Norfolk hooker Tom Youngs to prove his doubters wrong when the tournament begins on home soil next week.
Youngs has been criticised by some for his scrum and lineout skills, as he tries to fill the boots of the experienced Dylan Hartley, who was dropped from England's squad due to ill-discipline.
But few are doubting the 28-year-old's power in the loose and he looked closer to his top form in Saturday's 21-13 win over Ireland in the final warm-up match at Twickenham, leading Corry to say: 'A lot of people have pointed their fingers at Tom Youngs for our set-piece failures, but I don't see it. For a lineout to be perfectly functional you need every single member of it to execute their job to make it work.
'I felt that in the France game (a 25-20 loss) there were lots of errors at the lineout that weren't Tom Youngs' fault such as half-hearted efforts, not proper lifts and players making it obvious where the ball was going.
'I think Tom Youngs is fine in the lineout but there is obviously still work to be done, which I think is why Geoff Parling has been brought back in. Geoff Parling is great at the lineout and has shown what he can do in recent games and he should help out there, but it has been unfair to point the finger at just Tom.'
You may also want to watch:
Martin Corry was speaking on behalf of Land Rover. Land Rover is recruiting all 96 official mascots for Rugby World Cup 2015 as part of its 'We Deal In Real' campaign. Follow @LandRoverRugby #WeDealInReal
- 1 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 2 Body of man in 20s found at nature reserve near Norwich
- 3 New landlords relaunch pub with three-course dog menu
- 4 Shocked couple told statue used as doorstop could be worth £1m
- 5 Plot of gold? Land up for sale for £750,000
- 6 Sky broadband issues across Norfolk and Suffolk resolved
- 7 Sneak peek inside first £2.7m luxury mansion for sale
- 8 Drug dealer walks free from court for his 145th offence
- 9 Norfolk hit by thunderstorms and heavy hail
- 10 Neighbours' shock as man's body found in flat weeks after he died