World champion Tai Woffinden added to impressive King’s Lynn speedway bill
- Credit: IAN BURT
Superstar Tai Woffinden has become the main attraction of an already mouth-watering International Pre-Season Cup line-up in King's Lynn next month.
'Woffy' became the first British rider to lift the world championship title in 13 years last season after bravely overcoming two separate broken collarbones during the campaign. And his popularity, and status as the best rider on the planet, now means that all three of speedway's finest competitors will grace the Norfolk Arena on Wednesday, March 19.
The 23-year-old – who normally rides for Wolverhampton Wolves in the UK but will guest for the King's Lynn 'Select' side against Polish giants Zielona Gora – will be joined on the night by 2013 Grand Prix runner-up Jarek Hampel and Lynn's own Niels-Kristian Iversen, who finished third. Their slots were announced earlier this week while Woffinden replaces teenager Robert Lambert, who will be unable to ride because he will still be only 15.
The first curtain-raiser of its kind in the country is exciting fans of the two-wheel sport, and riders like Iversen.
The Dane said: 'It is brilliant that Team Player Management Company has arranged this. If we can attract some interest from the speedway world, these challenge meetings can help the riders. We get another meeting and it is a real test. It's not like we are racing a team from the same league, it is something different and a real test.'
You may also want to watch:
Advanced tickets can be bought from www.speedway-uk.com from tomorrow.
- 1 'Too close to home': Neighbours' shock as body found at Mousehold Heath
- 2 Which? warning to avoid sun cream brand for children
- 3 Poultry company owner says food industry is at 'crisis point'
- 4 Chicken restaurant closes 'due to unforeseen circumstances'
- 5 Lifeboat crew rescues three girls out to sea on lilos
- 6 Noise investigation launched after works leave houses 'tremoring'
- 7 What are the top 10 new shops opening in Norwich?
- 8 New beauty salon and massage rooms open at country club
- 9 'Like an invasion' - locals speak out over five-day festival
- 10 'Cold and desolate' - Anne Robinson's Countdown jibe at Norfolk