Woods race set to get underway

CHRIS LAKEY Norwich City could be involved in a transfer scramble for midfielder Martin Woods after the Rotherham midfielder exercised his right to become a “free man”.

CHRIS LAKEY

Norwich City could be involved in a transfer scramble for midfielder Martin Woods after the Rotherham midfielder exercised his right to become a “free man”.

The 21-year-old had an escape clause in his contract allowing him to leave Millmoor should Rotherham be relegated - an option he involved over the weekend.

And that could spark a race for the Scot's signature, with the Canaries, Wolves and newly-promoted Scunthorpe United all waiting for his next move.


You may also want to watch:


“Martin has taken up the option and has informed us that he will be leaving,” said Rotherham boss and former Canaries striker Mark Robins. “He's decided he wants to move away and good luck to him.

“We offered him a deal and there's nothing else we could have done because our hands are tied.”

Most Read

Robins admitted he had tried and failed to persuade Woods to stay at Millmoor.

“There are clubs interested in him and we will just have to wait and see what develops,” he added.

City's rumoured interest in Mark McAllister has cooled with the striker now set to stay with Irish side Dungannon Swifts.

The 19-year-old rejected a move to Celtic earlier this month in the hope of getting a move to a Championship club, but Swifts manager Harry Fay revealed there has been no further interest in the player.

Fay added that McAllister, who made his debut for Northern Ireland Under-21s on Thursday, is now readying himself for another season in Irish football with a Uefa Cup qualifier on the horizon.

“There is no concrete interest at present and it's getting to the stage where we have to be getting ready for our UEFA Cup tie,” said Fay. “The clubs chasing him are going to have to make a decision soon to get him on board otherwise he is more than willing to sit tight at Dungannon for another season.

“Last year was his first in senior football. He would certainly be more than welcome to stay at Dungannon. Unless some concrete interest comes in very soon then he will be staying with us.”

Robert Fleck had been watching McAllister as part of a scouting mission for City but it appears manager Peter Grant does not see the player as someone he needs to add to his squad.

“I can't have this dragging on throughout the summer as we need to be ready for that Uefa Cup tie,” added Fay.

“They (Norwich) have not been in contact. If they do want him then they are going to have to make a move sooner rather than later.”

Meanwhile, McAllister admitted that he disappointed his father when he rejected his move to Celtic.

“It came as a bit of a shock to my old man when I decided not to join Celtic. He takes the boat over whenever he can and goes to Parkhead.

“He was on top of the world when he thought I was signing for them and I have to admit I was too but in the end the head had to rule the heart.

“I was all set to go for it but Tommy Burns had been really honest about the fact there would be a lot of competition for first-team places. I knew I 'd benefit from tremendous coaching but this was my first season of first-team football and I want to make the step up to the full-time game while continuing to play first-team football.”

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus