Win, 80, gets award for football passion
RICHARD PARR An 80-year-old grandmother with a passion for football has been honoured for coaching hundreds of youngsters in the past two decades, including Norwich City stars Ryan and Rossi Jarvis.
An 80-year-old grandmother with a passion for football has been honoured for coaching hundreds of youngsters in the past two decades, including Norwich City stars Ryan and Rossi Jarvis.
Win Sankey was given VIP treatment in London when she was presented with the government's Older Volunteers Local Hero Award.
The presentation was made at the Commons by North Norfolk MP Norman Lamb, who nominated Mrs Sankey, of Heath Lane, Fakenham, for the award.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Lamb said: "I was delighted Mrs Sankey was given this award for her outstanding work in the community. She is completely committed to the sporting education of youngsters at Fakenham Infants' school.
"Her dedication makes a real difference to the lives of those young people. Mrs Sankey thoroughly deserves this award."
- 1 'Too close to home': Neighbours' shock as body found at Mousehold Heath
- 2 Former hunting lodge for sale for £1.695m with huge lake
- 3 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 4 Never mind the limo - aspiring farmer rides tractor to prom night
- 5 Town's long wait for new £37m bypass nearly over as funding agreed
- 6 Which? warning to avoid sun cream brand for children
- 7 Man suffers injuries after road rage assault near retail park
- 8 'The vibe is good' - Return to normality on first day of Latitude Festival
- 9 Thunderstorms set to put dampener on weekend
- 10 St Benedict's Street restaurant closes due to 'pingdemic'
Mrs Sankey has previously received the Fakenham Mayor's Community Volunteer Award for her work with young footballers.
Of Ryan Jarvis she said: "Ryan always stood out from the rest, even as a pint-sized pupil in the class of children at Fakenham Infants School in the early 1990s."
Even at the age of 80 Mrs Sankey still continues with her soccer coaching at the school.