Wicketkeeper leads the way as Swardeston start T20 challenge with win over Great Witchingham
- Credit: Archant
Swardeston made a winning start to the NW Brown Norfolk Twenty20 competition with a 62-run over Great Witchingham at Manor Park.
The East Anglian Premier League champions scored 147 for eight in their innings on Thursday night, led by a 39-ball 54 from wicketkeeper Stephen Gray, with Philip King taking 4-34 for the Witches.
Matt Taylor and Joe Gatting then both took three wickets as Witchingham were dismissed for 85 in the 18th over.
Reigning champions Vauxhall Mallards began the defence of their title with a 34-run victory over Brooke on Wednesday evening, when Mitchell Todd smashed 124 from 62 balls.
The Ducks beat Swardeston with seven wickets to spare in last year's final at Horsford.
You may also want to watch:
Next week's matches pit Witchingham against Norwich on Wednesday and Horsford against Mallards on Thursday as the group stage of the competition continues.
- 1 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 2 Sky broadband issues across Norfolk and Suffolk resolved
- 3 Drug dealer walks free from court for his 145th offence
- 4 Body of man in 20s found at nature reserve near Norwich
- 5 'Is this a wind up?' - Artist's shock as Delia buys 101 of his paintings
- 6 Clean-up operation begins as town 'flooded completely' by heavy rain
- 7 Shocked couple told statue used as doorstop could be worth £1m
- 8 New 20mph speed cameras to tackle NDR rat-runners
- 9 Watch: Woman left bleeding and bruised after e-scooter crash
- 10 Church with 'features to get excited about' for sale for £80,000