Weymouth Town 3 King’s Lynn Town 1: Linnets lose out on the south coast
- Credit: Geoff Moore/Focus Images Ltd
Despite dominating possession the Linnets slipped to a defeat against a well-organised Weymouth side on the south coast.
Lynn had the first opportunity when a superb cross from the right by Cameron Norman found Ryan Hawkins who was hauled down by Calvin Brooks earning the visitors in a penalty – but the usually-reliable Michael Clunan saw his spot kick turned behind by Gareth Stewart.
Alex Street was then called upon to make his first save, getting down low to prevent a Brandon Goodship effort after good work on the right by Brooks.
But on 29 minutes Goodship did get the better of Street, A delightful pass from home skipper Jake McCarthy was flicked on by Ben Thomson into the path of Goodship, who showed good composure to round Street and slot home into the empty net from an acute angle.
The Linnets then lost striker Leon Mettam to what looked like a hamstring injury as he tried to latch onto a Ryan Jarvis through ball on goal.
You may also want to watch:
Lynn then had the next chance on 35 minutes when a foul by McCarthy led to a free-kick on the edge of the box that was taken by Hawkins who lifted the ball up and over the wall – it looked destined for the net but the foot of the post came to Weymouth's rescue with Stewart beaten.
The visitors saw plenty of possession inside the opening minutes of the second half and rightfully got themselves back on level terms, Great work from Craig Parker on the edge of the box saw him slip in Michael Gash whose touch and finish went across the outstretched Stewart.
- 1 Londoners fined for travelling to stay at second home in Norfolk
- 2 Norfolk wakes up to snow with more expected to fall
- 3 Drivers face non-essential travel fines after spate of snow crashes
- 4 Covid case rates continue to fall across Norfolk and Waveney
- 5 Voyeur watched people after setting up secret cameras in bathroom
- 6 Are you in our Norfolk school photos from the 1970s?
- 7 Government must step in to help 'desperate' Norwich hospital, says MP
- 8 Woman in 60s suffers serious injuries after car crashes into ditch
- 9 Photo gallery: Snow turns region into winter wonderland
- 10 Several burst mains in town leave homes without water
That goal seemed to spur the home side on and they took the lead on 75 minutes, Goodship again benefiting from some more slack Lynn defending to fire a thunderous shot past Street.
The home fans where still celebrating when Stewart had to make a point-blank save from Gash, whose turn and shot looked destined for the bottom corner.
Terras midfielder Charlie Davis had the final say when his blockbuster volley from the edge of the box flew past Street.
Weymouth: Stewart, Brooks, Cooper (Baker 70), Wells, Buckley, Carmichael, Davis, McCarthy, Thomson (Tubbs 70), Goodship, Wakefield. Subs not used: Sa, Prodomo, Harvey.
Lynn: Street, Norman, Blake-Tracy, Fryatt, Ward, Jarvis, Clunan, Parker (Gillies 84), Gash, Mettam (Hilliard 32) , Hawkins. Subs not used: Gaughran, Siddons, McQuaid
Referee: Daniel Flynn (Bristol).