West Norfolk non-league round-up: Swaffham excited to fly FA Vase flag for district
Swaffham Town will continue to fly the flag for West Norfolk in the FA Vase after they progressed to the first round on Saturday.
Paul Hunt's side are the district's only representatives left in the competition after Joe Jackson's brace helped them beat Wellingborough Whitworths 2-1.
The Pedlars boss said: 'We were looking for a good performance and a place in the next round so it was mission accomplished.
'They were a tough, physical, competitive route-one team and we defended excellently as a unit. Dean Miller and Matthew Parkinson were immense at centre-half. We had a nice crowd of over 100 and the club's buzzing at the moment.
'We want to keep our momentum going and the FA Vase is a good way to do that. We're looking forward to the next game already.'
You may also want to watch:
Swaffham – who travel to Long Melford in the Thurlow Nunn First Division on Saturday before hosting a League Cup Preliminary Round derby on Tuesday against Fakenham Town – welcome United Counties Premier Division Desborough Town in the Vase on October 13.
Downham Town exited the competition after a 'disappointing' 2-0 home defeat to Northampton Spencer at the weekend.
- 1 Mum's heartfelt tribute to daughter who died in A47 collision
- 2 Fire crews rush to a crash near Norfolk village
- 3 Two men in critical condition as multiple people stabbed
- 4 Police swoop on Norwich address
- 5 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 6 Asda and Amazon urgently recall items due to safety concerns
- 7 Norwich cat torturer who murdered pensioner ‘planned to carry on killing’
- 8 Swathes of new homes for village move step closer with new planning bid
- 9 Secluded Broads farmhouse in almost 11 acres goes up for sale
- 10 Farm worker fined after hay bales fall off trailer and hit car
Assistant boss Pete Brassett said: 'They came for a 0-0 and we handed them both goals. The first one was abysmal, almost comical. We are very disappointed to be out of the Vase and we need to get back to basics, man up, and get ourselves going again.'
Downham travel to Debenham LC in the league on Saturday before visiting Premier Division Ely City in the League Cup on Tuesday.
Wisbech visit fellow Premier Division high-fliers Gorleston on the back of a 3-1 win at Kirkley & Pakefield. Peterborough Division One Lynn Reserves are without a game. They drew 1-1 at Ketton United on Saturday thanks to Kevin White's late equaliser.