West Norfolk non-league round-up: Swaffham excited to fly FA Vase flag for district
Swaffham Town will continue to fly the flag for West Norfolk in the FA Vase after they progressed to the first round on Saturday.
Paul Hunt's side are the district's only representatives left in the competition after Joe Jackson's brace helped them beat Wellingborough Whitworths 2-1.
The Pedlars boss said: 'We were looking for a good performance and a place in the next round so it was mission accomplished.
'They were a tough, physical, competitive route-one team and we defended excellently as a unit. Dean Miller and Matthew Parkinson were immense at centre-half. We had a nice crowd of over 100 and the club's buzzing at the moment.
'We want to keep our momentum going and the FA Vase is a good way to do that. We're looking forward to the next game already.'
You may also want to watch:
Swaffham – who travel to Long Melford in the Thurlow Nunn First Division on Saturday before hosting a League Cup Preliminary Round derby on Tuesday against Fakenham Town – welcome United Counties Premier Division Desborough Town in the Vase on October 13.
Downham Town exited the competition after a 'disappointing' 2-0 home defeat to Northampton Spencer at the weekend.
- 1 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
- 2 Covid rips through care homes again with deaths almost doubling in a week
- 3 'Isolate from your household' plea as Covid soars in Norwich
- 4 'I am heartbroken' - Woman's two cats killed by 'reckless' drivers
- 5 Concern elderly people 'being ignored' as town has no vaccination centre
- 6 Man seriously injured after Norfolk crash
- 7 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street
- 8 Norfolk yet to reach peak in latest wave of coronavirus deaths
- 9 'They don't care': Retired couple slam council over 'dangerous' tree
- 10 A47 closed in both directions after crash
Assistant boss Pete Brassett said: 'They came for a 0-0 and we handed them both goals. The first one was abysmal, almost comical. We are very disappointed to be out of the Vase and we need to get back to basics, man up, and get ourselves going again.'
Downham travel to Debenham LC in the league on Saturday before visiting Premier Division Ely City in the League Cup on Tuesday.
Wisbech visit fellow Premier Division high-fliers Gorleston on the back of a 3-1 win at Kirkley & Pakefield. Peterborough Division One Lynn Reserves are without a game. They drew 1-1 at Ketton United on Saturday thanks to Kevin White's late equaliser.