West Norfolk enjoy night in the TV spotlight
- Credit: Archant
West Norfolk's in-form troops have been rubbing shoulders with the stars at BT Sport's studios.
A group of players and supporters from West travelled down to the Olympic Park in Stratford on Monday night to take part in the live 'Rugby Tonight' show, which was repeated last night.
The squad featured heavily throughout the episode, which is presented by Craig Doyle, alongside former England internationals Austin Healey, Martin Bayfield and Ben Kay. They also had an opportunity to meet special guests; Gloucester and England player Matt Kvesic and Carol Decker, legendary singer from 80s pop group T'Pau.
West's Liam Hind then then took to the treadmill to race against 'Marathon Man' Rob Young – currently 232 26.2-milers into his attempt to run a marathon every day for a year to raise funds for a host of children's charities – before Kay continued the challenge.
The guys then faced off against Dorking Rugby Club in the team demonstration section, led by Kay and Kvesic, before Decker sang them out in the show finale.
'It was an awesome experience and all the lads really enjoyed being a part of the show,' said skipper Lawrence Savage.
'Normally you need to apply to get on, but they were looking for a league winning team to take part, so as Eastern Counties One champions last season they invited us down to make an appearance. Not only is it great fun and interesting to see how a show like that is produced first hand, it is a brilliant way to promote the club and rugby as whole from the region.
- 1 Row erupts after dozens of trees aligning footpath chopped down
- 2 Hermes courier and his wife could be jailed over ‘stolen parcels’
- 3 Obituary: Tributes after 'heart-shaped hole' is left following teaching assistant's death
- 4 How Norfolk's current Covid figures compare to November 2020 lockdown
- 5 Winter Wonderland coming to park with ice slide, donkeys and reindeer
- 6 Panoramic views for every customer after award-winning restaurant's refurb
- 7 Christmas lights switch-on cancelled due to forecasted high winds
- 8 Freezing cold temperatures could see snow in parts of Norfolk this weekend
- 9 Norfolk boxer fined for exercising in Chapelfield Gardens during lockdown
- 10 Primary pupil sexually assaulted on way to school
'It was good to meet the stars of the show, especially Ben Kay, who is an ambassador for the charity Scotty's Little Soldiers. It's a local charity West supports and we have the connection from the players who took part in the world record marathon match last year.'
The North Wootton outfit, third following promotion, will be hoping their good week continues tomorrow when they aim to make it five London Three North-East wins on the bounce at home to Harlow.
In lower-tier Greene King Eastern Counties Division One, Swaffham – who appeared on BT Sport last season – travel to Thurston, one of only two sides below them.
Wisbech, seventh, ended their year-long search for an away win last time out so will be looking to build on that morale-boosting triumph when they welcome third-placed Newmarket to Harecroft Road.