West Norfolk 17, Ely 11
West Norfolk ground out a win in testing conditions to retain top spot in Division One of the Greene King Eastern Counties League.
The rain was so heavy at one stage that there were fears of an abandonment – but both teams soldiered on in the mud, with West shutting up shop in the second half after going in at the break 17-8 ahead.
A Jamie Williamson try, converted by Ed Maule, gave the home side the early advantage before mid-table Ely reduced the arrears with a penalty.
With the weather worsening by the minute further unconverted tries from Michael Skinner and Neil Thurston then stretched West's advantage.
The second half was a forward dominated battle in the cloying mud, with the only points scored being an Ely penalty.
You may also want to watch:
West are now level on points with Stowmarket, who comfortably beat Harwich at the weekend, and can afford no slip-ups when the visit third placed Cantabrigian on Saturday.
• With Holt not in action at the weekend the spotlight fell on the club's second team, who beat Norwich Medics 27-7 in a Merit Table fixture to boost their chances of avoiding relegation.
- 1 Builder took pink pill and ran naked around hotel
- 2 Fire tears through historic Thorpe pub
- 3 Four national high street names to move into former M&S store
- 4 Mass coronavirus vaccination centre opens in Norwich today
- 5 Stunning images capture Cromer in the snow
- 6 Store open despite positive Covid test at town centre Sainsbury's
- 7 Vaccines roll-out to move on to over 70s
- 8 Delays as 23m-long caravan travels through Norfolk
- 9 Norfolk to get rapid Covid test sites - to find people without symptoms
- 10 Vandals leave £80,000 trail of destruction in car park