Walsham seconds take centre stage
The Raiders notched up their fourth win on the bounce at Scottow. Their impressive seven try tally made light of the abysmal weather, much to the pleasure of those who had turned out on this cold and miserable Saturday afternoon.
Nth Walsham Raiders 43, Chinnor II 7
The Raiders notched up their fourth win on the bounce at Scottow.
Their impressive seven try tally made light of the abysmal weather, much to the pleasure of those who had turned out on this cold and miserable Saturday afternoon.
Choosing to play the first 40 minutes with the elements at their backs and after a testing start the tries soon followed, from Andy Thorpe, followed minutes later by Gideon Strydom.
Walsham were now warming to the task, in spite of the bitter conditions, and began to play some champagne rugby. Will Farrer chose a fabulous line to split the defence to score the Raiders third and five minutes later Jason Applin, on a similar run, crossed the line. Farrer then added his second as Chinnor tried to clear their lines, only to have a kick charged down.
In the second half, with the wind now increasing to gale force and the rain becoming torrential, Chinnor forced the play deep into home territory.
- 1 Weather warning as thunderstorms set to hit Norfolk
- 2 Fears over town gridlock as years of A11 improvement works begin
- 3 Prince Harry's ex marries north Norfolk hotelier
- 4 'We will always miss you' - tributes to QEH pharmacist who died in A47 crash
- 5 Villagers' anger after meadow is mowed causing 'destruction' of plants
- 6 Green light for park and ride, drive throughs and offices near Norwich
- 7 Tractor being used for A11 roadworks had faulty brakes
- 8 'It's a nightmare' - Roadworks leave town 'gridlocked'
- 9 'Like a Halloween scene' - huge caterpillar webs engulf hedges
- 10 Police called to 'altercation' between pupils at Norfolk school
However, in true Viking spirit, they defended resolutely for a full 25 minutes, vigorously defending their line as one big hit after another forced Chinnor to cough up possession.
Walsham's defence was finally breached when Chinnor prop Luke Wellbelove crashed over and Leon Westerman converted.
This score, whilst thoroughly deserved, rekindled the Raiders' fire and they immediately went on to the offensive from the restart.
Some slick handling put Al Turner in the clear with 70 metres to run and the hooker scored under the posts.
Norwich II 50,Wymondham II 0
Norwich recorded an emphatic victory in ever-worsening conditions, with tries from Lusted, Calvert, Dunbar, Cocker 2, Gaylor, Weber and Burling.