Walsh is gunning for British crown
- Credit: ©stillfocused.co.uk Jerry Daws
Ryan Walsh is desperate to take on the man he believes is one of the best pound-for-pound fighters in the country and bring a British title belt back to Norfolk.
The Cromer boxer has been named as mandatory challenger for Lee Selby's British featherweight belt. Selby may decide to vacate the title as he pursues world title ambitions, but Walsh is desperate to take on the highly-rated Welshman before he moves on.
'If it's not Lee Selby it is the British title – but I kind of want Lee,' said Walsh, who stopped Spaniard Jose Antonio Elizabeth in the third round at the latest Norwich boxing show on Saturday.
'He is not the fighter that many people want. A lot of people are avoiding him waiting for him to give up his title. That is not the way I want to do it – I want him as much as I want the title. I will be chasing him. I understand him if he does vacate but that is all about his performance (against Viorel Simion) on July 13.
'Right now, pound-for-pound, I rate him as one of the best fighters in Great Britain and that is why I need him, because that is my stepping stone to where I want to be. A British title is massive – but a British title against Selby for me is the type of fight I need.'
You may also want to watch:
Walsh's win over Elizabeth – who he put down twice in the second round and twice in the third – was one of six by Norwich-based boxers on Saturday night, including a first title for Nathan Dale.
- 1 Escape to the Country names 'north Norfolk's seaside capital'
- 2 Pretty thatched cafe business on Broads for sale for £75,000
- 3 Anger as woodland used as 'playground and dustbin'
- 4 Giant Victorian underground reservoir marks supplying city for 150 years
- 5 The areas where Covid rates have fallen the fastest since lockdown began
- 6 Report into woman's murder by jealous ex: 'Employers must do more'
- 7 Homes plan to be revealed for former infant school
- 8 First look at five new homes released for sale at popular site in Taverham
- 9 Former village pub for sale as home
- 10 'We're all shocked' - Butchers shop attacked by vandals