Video: King’s Lynn Town are saved by George’s best at Ramsbottom United

Lynn's George Thomson. Picture: Ian Burt

Lynn's George Thomson. Picture: Ian Burt - Credit: IAN BURT

George Thomson's superb last-minute free-kick secured King's Lynn Town an opening day 3-2 win at Ramsbottom United after being two goals down inside 10 minutes during an amazing afternoon of Evo-Stik Premier Division football.

A brace from centre-back Ryan Fryatt rescued the Linnets after they had looked dead and buried following early Jon Robinson and Grant Spencer strikes. Unbelievably though this was only half the story as the visitors somehow overcame a series of off-field dramas to secure victory.

The club's team coach only arrived at the ground with just an hour to kick-off due to motorway hold ups and even further bad news was to follow as the late arrivals of Jake Jones, Dan Quigley and new signing Sam Brooks due to an M6 motorway incident meant the trio were only able to take bench places, throwing boss Gary Setchell's team selection into chaos.

The Linnets still looked in turmoil as the game began and a strong start by the Rams saw Robinson strike a sweet half volley past keeper Alex Street following Lee Pugh's centre. Worse was to follow when Spencer smashed home a loose ball following a game of ping-pong in the Lynn box.

The most ardent of Town supporters must have been fearing the worst as the prolific Lee Gaskell fired wide and Jordan Hulme forced Street to tip the ball over his bar as the hosts continued to pepper the goal. However Lynn hung on and midway through the half Fryatt headed David Bell's corner powerfully past Grant Shenton as Sam Mulready made a nuisance of himself near the home keeper.

You may also want to watch:

The second spell was barely three minutes old when the pivotal moment of the match arrived. The impressive Spencer eluded the Lynn defence forcing a retreating Jordan Yong into a rash challenge which saw referee Mr Mulhall, who had an excellent afternoon, award a spot kick. However, Evo-Stik golden boot holder Gaskell fired an awful penalty out of the ground , visibly deflating his own players. Substitute Steve Spriggs was presented with a great chance to test Shenton but failed to get his shot away. The marauding Ross Watson did though and his drive from an acute angle forced a parried save. From the resulting Bell flag kick Brooks' first touch in a Linnets shirt set up Fryatt who calmly nodded the ball back across goal and into the net.

With time running out Town were awarded a free-kick some 20 yards from goal. Thomson placed the ball and a rehearsed routine saw two Lynn players dummy to take the kick, peel away, allowing Thomson to send a delicious kick past Shenton to bulge the net, cueing scenes of delight amongst the travelling fans and bench as they celebrated what had seemed, an impossible victory.

Most Read

- Video provided by King's Lynn Town's official YouTube channel.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus