Victory turns into a draw for Beccles

BECCLES 16, CANVEY ISLAND 16: Despite picking up what may well prove to be two valuable London 2ne points, Beccles know that they should have taken all four from this clash against third-placed Canvey.

Skipper Lake rallied his troops before this fixture, highlighting its importance, and his team responded from the off and took the game to their higher placed opponents.

For the majority of the first 30 minutes Beccles camped themselves deep in the opposition's half. Good ball carrying by the forwards, and in particular Porter, kept play moving forward, resulting in a number of scrums close to the Canvey goal line.

From a penalty Rix picked and barged his way over the line for what looked like a certain try. But with the referee unsighted nothing was given and Canvey cleared their lines.

Undeterred, Beccles again forced themselves deep into the Canvey 22 and young winger Davey-Durak, who had a fantastic game, powered his way down the line before diving in to touch down in the corner. Yet again this was disallowed, letting the visiting team off once more.

Beccles finally got points on the board from a well taken penalty and were too soon to get the try they deserved. From more strong forward play from Wilson, Warnes and Ling play was again forced towards the Canvey Island line. The ball was fed to Murray, who spun wide to Rayner, and the young Australian cut into the line and rounded the defence to touch down out wide. Wade stepped up and slotted the kick from the touch line for the extra two points.

With ten minutes of the first half remaining Wade stretched Beccles lead to 13 with another well taken penalty. This seemed to spur Canvey and they reduced the arrears with a penalty before charging down an attempted clearance to score a converted try to make it 13-10 at the break.

Most Read

The second half was a stop start affair, with Beccles struggling to gain momentum.

Canvey took advantage of another penalty to bring the scores level before taking the lead with another well struck effort.

Things now appeared to be going against Beccles and their cause was further hampered by an injury to the powerful and influential Wilson, who had to be replaced by Giddings. Things seemed to go from bad to worse as shortly after this Warnes was yellow cared for what appeared to be a trivial infringement.

With two minutes of play left Beccles pressed into the Canvey half and were rewarded with a penalty. Musker McIntyre man of the match Sale took a quick tap only to be impeded by the offside opposition to gain a vital extra 10 metres. With time running out Beccles wanted to press for the win and after conferring with the referee were told that they were only one point behind. With this in mind Wade converted the long range pressure kick for what Beccles thought had given them the lead.

From the restart the home side retained the ball before the final whistle blew for what they and the referee thought was a well earned win. Following an immediate challenge from the Canvey players and supporters the referee took a recount and corrected the result to a draw.