Victory on the world stage for Horsford cyclist Sophie Wright
- Credit: Paul Sanwell
Sophie Wright's impressive progress has continued with the first global victory of her promising mountain biking career.
The European junior champion, from Horsford, won the UCI MTB Junior Series race at Hadleigh Park International in Essex.
Wright, a British Cycling Olympic Junior Academy rider, crossed the finish line one minute and 23 seconds ahead of Austria's Anna Spielman at the London 2012 Olympics venue.
The 17-year-old became Great Britain's first European junior champion at the UEC Mountain Bike Championships in Sweden in May, having become 2015 national mountain bike youth champion and 2016 national cyclo-cross champion.
The Hellesdon High School sixth-form student followed that success with fourth place at the UCI Mountain Bike World Championships in the Czech Republic last month.
You may also want to watch:
Sunday's race was won in commanding fashion due to Wright's climbing prowess, soon moving to the front of the race and pulling clear of her competitors.
Having finished the first lap in fourth place, the Norfolk teen led at the end of the following three laps, finishing in a time of 57 minutes and 54 seconds.
- 1 'Too close to home': Neighbours' shock as body found at Mousehold Heath
- 2 Former hunting lodge for sale for £1.695m with huge lake
- 3 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 4 Never mind the limo - aspiring farmer rides tractor to prom night
- 5 Which? warning to avoid sun cream brand for children
- 6 Man suffers injuries after road rage assault near retail park
- 7 Town's long wait for new £37m bypass nearly over as funding agreed
- 8 Thunderstorms set to put dampener on weekend
- 9 'The vibe is good' - Return to normality on first day of Latitude Festival
- 10 St Benedict's Street restaurant closes due to 'pingdemic'
'That result today just tops everything off for me,' Wright told BritishCycling.org.uk after the race.
'To be regional champion, national champion and to now have my first ever world cup win on my home course, so I'm really pleased.
'Hadleigh is my home course and I have so many memories from here and I can take more away with me from today.
'To have so many people cheering me on round the course, my family and friends have come out to watch so it's been brilliant for me today.'