Victoria Williamson to be flown home after successful surgery following crash in Holland
Victoria Williamson is set to be flown home from Holland tomorrow following successful surgery on injuries she suffered in a crash during a race at the weekend.
The 22-year-old, originally from Hevingham, will be flown back to her home in Manchester via a medical evacuation – after suffering a fractured pelvis and vertebrae and a severe cut to her right side during a sprint heat at the Rotterdam Six-Day event on Saturday night.
Williamson's father, Mark, said: 'We just want to thank our friends and family for the support, and for all the texts and messages on Twitter from all over the world, it's been unbelievable.'
Williamson suffered her injuries in a collision with Dutch rival Elis Ligtlee, with racing at Rotterdam's Zesdaagse cancelled and spectators asked to leave the velodrome following the crash.
Williamson now faces a lengthy recuperation period, with her father adding it was too early to say if the former Norwich High School for Girls pupil would be fit for selection for the Olympics, which begin in Rio in August.
'She's made of tough stuff and the long-term prognosis health-wise is good but we are talking about a long, long road to recovery,' Mr Williamson added.
You may also want to watch:
The Olympic hopeful won silver in the team sprint and bronze in the individual sprint at the UEC Under-23 and Junior European Track Championships in Athens last July.
She was also part of the British team which won bronze in the team sprint at the UCI Track Cycling World Championships in Minsk in 2013.
- 1 Family forced to live in tent after maggots and rats found in home
- 2 Councils could spend millions to buy former Aviva office for new HQ
- 3 £6.1m shopping street revamp will take half of 2022 to complete
- 4 Five former MoD homes go up for sale near Norwich
- 5 Christmas Lights Walk with toasted marshmallows coming to garden
- 6 MP and parents concerned over traffic and parking chaos outside school
- 7 Man arrested on suspicion of stalking after notes left on women's cars
- 8 Two fires in two hours on mid-Norfolk road
- 9 Blind woman 'humiliated' as restaurant turns her away due to her guide dog
- 10 City keeper diagnosed with testicular cancer