Vets shine in Dudley
The Hunstanton Veterans Tennis Club's senior mixed team had an amazing result at the David Lloyd Centre in Dudley last week after winning the final of the Vets Tennis GB National Inter-Club Championships.
Tricia Peel, Leanne Skinner, David Henderson and Philip Tye lined up against a team from Purley who boasted two ladies that compete for GB Vets tennis.
In their first rubbers both Hunstanton pairs soon fell behind, each losing their first sets, but fought back to level their respective matches and force championship tie-breaks.
Peal and Henderson, playing first pair, won their rubber whilst Skinner and Tye lost.
At the half-way stage the match was all square on rubbers, sets and even games.
You may also want to watch:
In the reverse rubbers, Skinner and Tye lost the first set to the Purley number one pair, but again fought back to take the second, losing out in the deciding tie-break 10-8.
Meanwhile, Peal and Henderson were engaged in a marathon rubber against the Purley second pair. The first set went to a tie-break which Hunstanton won and with an early break in the second set, they were soon serving for the match. Purley broke back to level the score at 5-5 but a final push from the Hunstanton pairing saw them over the line as Peal served out the match at 6-5 ensuring victory overall on sets won.
- 1 Woman who died in A47 collision named
- 2 WATCH: Cars float on high tide in north Norfolk
- 3 "I thought I had freshers flu, but Drs said I could have died within a week"
- 4 RAF Marham Royal Navy sailor jailed for raping colleague while she slept
- 5 Sisters-in-law glowing after opening high street tanning salon
- 6 Farm shop owners 'absolutely thrilled' at national award
- 7 Nicole Kidman donates £10k to Norfolk dad's charity walk
- 8 'Neighbours ran outside screaming' during street fight in Golden Triangle
- 9 Teacher who supported hundreds of children through education dies aged 67
- 10 Norfolk RSPCA store appears on Rip Off Britain
The final score showed how tight the match had been with 41 games each, two rubbers each but, crucially, Hunstanton 6 sets and Purley 5.
• Norfolk's senior county sides both secured outstanding promotions in their respective groups at AEGON Winter County Cup over the weekend on dramatic final days.
The men's side, competing at Bolton Arena reached Group 1 of Winter County Cup for the first time while the Ladies topped Group 4B at Redbridge Tennis Centre.