Underdogs' chance to shine
KEITH PEEL Giant-killing opportunities abound in the Norfolk Senior Cup second round. Six of the 11 ties pitch Dolphin Autos Anglian Football Combination teams against Ridgeons League Division One opponents.
Giant-killing opportunities abound in the Norfolk Senior Cup second round. Six of the 11 ties pitch Dolphin Autos Anglian Football Combination teams against Ridgeons League Division One opponents. Cromer Town, the Sterry Cup holders, will certainly have high hopes of an upset when they play Fakenham Town at Clipbush Park on Saturday, October 7. Acle, who finished third in the Anglian Combination Premier Division last season, face Swaffham Town at Shoemakers Lane, while Hempnall take on Thetford Town at Mundford Road and Loddon go to Gorleston.
The other two underdogs have home advantage, with Mattishall meeting Downham Town and North Walsham - revitalised under John Musgrove, who was in charge of Gorleston last season - playing Yarmouth Town.
The five all-Anglian Combination clashes include Division One team Wymondham Town against Premier Division side Sheringham, who are determined to challenge for silverware this season.
“We would have preferred a home tie, but we've avoided some of the bigger sides and so I'm relatively happy,” said Alan Arber, assistant to Sheringham manager John Kowalyk.
“That said, Wymondham will see us as a big scalp, so it will be a very tough game and we have to go there with a really good attitude.”
- 1 Massive care village and research park planned for edge of Norwich
- 2 Travellers set up 'unauthorised' camp in popular park
- 3 Can you spot yourself in the Classic Ibiza crowd at Blickling?
- 4 'I'm sorry' - Woman behind cancelled festival offers customers £100,000
- 5 Mods and rockers taking over Norfolk town for classic bike and scooter meet
- 6 New tenant bid for former Argos store on retail park
- 7 Dash cams help police prosecute 400 drivers in a year
- 8 Warning to pet owners after chocolate dumped in seaside village
- 9 Adder warning in coastal areas as snakes come out to bask
- 10 Is this Suffolk's most stylish beach hut?
Sheringham's priority is the Premier Division championship, and Arber added: “They're a club geared for success, with a superb pitch and facilities, and a committee who work exceptionally hard.
“The stand being built is superb and there is talk of floodlights being installed maybe by the end of the season.
“We'd love to win the league, but to do so we have to finish above Cromer and Blofield.
“Then there are the likes of Brandon and North Walsham - and there will always be a dark horse - so we know we face a very, very tough task.”
Full draw for the October 7 second round of the Norfolk Senior Cup: Attleborough v Dersingham, Fakenham v Cromer, Gayton v Sprowston Athletic, Gorleston v Loddon, Halvergate v Blofield, Mattishall v Downham, North Walsham v Yarmouth Town, Norwich Union v St Andrews, Swaffham v Acle, Thetford Town v Hempnall and Wymondham Town v Sheringham.