UEA Fencing Club’s Ben Bone wins silver medal at Malta Open
- Credit: Archant
A large contingent of UEA Fencing Club made an assault on the Malta Open, hosted by the St Paul Fencing Club.
The competition was multi national with 12 nations being represented. This was the first time that the club has ventured this far, although they are regular competitors on the national university circuit.
The trip paid off for Ben Bone who took a silver medal in the men's sabre event, eventually being beaten by Massimo Larossa of Italy. Nathan Gull was placed fifth in this event.
Whilst these results were the main achievement the other fencers, most of whom were less experienced, acquitted themselves well.
Overall the GB fencers came first in terms of medals, winning two golds, one silver and four bronze.
You may also want to watch:
Norfolk Fencing Club meets at the Sportspark at the UEA at 7.40pm on Wednesday nights. Beginners' courses are available – see www.norfolkfencingclub.co.uk.
- 1 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Norfolk
- 2 'I remember shutting down' - Singer on cancer diagnosis at Norfolk hospital
- 3 BBC Autumnwatch returns to Norfolk for another season
- 4 Hundreds more trees on route of Norwich NDR have died
- 5 Ford and Jaguar crash in second incident near village in same night
- 6 950-home bid takes step forward after £7m developer contribution agreed
- 7 Road closed after crash involving car and two tractors
- 8 What might happen to former Debenhams store in city centre?
- 9 Couple fined £400 for digging up 8,000 Norfolk bluebells
- 10 Seven cosy pubs to visit in Norfolk this winter