Trafford FC 1 King’s Lynn Town 2

Rob Duffy scored his third penalty in three matches, and his 12th goal of the season, during King's

Rob Duffy scored his third penalty in three matches, and his 12th goal of the season, during King's Lynn Town's 2-1 win at Trafford FC. Picture: Ian Burt - Credit: IAN BURT

Kings Lynn moved up to fourth in the Evo-Stik North Premier Division after beating Trafford 2-1 despite the hosts ending the game with eight men.

The Linnets came out of the traps quickest with debutant Peter Bore and George Thomson having chances.

Lynn were rewarded for their early pressure when they took the lead from the spot mid-way through the first half. The referee had no choice but to show centre back Callum Jones a straight red card after he deliberately handled Rob Duffy's goal-bound header from Bore's cross. Duffy coolly converted the resulting penalty with his third goal from the spot in as many matches and notching his 12th goal of the season.

The visitors doubled their lead ten minutes later. Ewan Clarke scored with his first touch of the match after replacing the injured Duffy. Clarke converted Sam Mulready's left-wing cross from close range.

Trafford pulled a goal back just before half-time with a peach of a goal from Nia Bayunu.

A free-kick was sent in from deep on the left and when the Town defence only half cleared the ball, Bayunu struck an expertly executed volley into the top corner from 18 yards.

Gary Setchell's men did start the second-half with purpose although chances were at a premium.

Most Read

Lynn goalkeeper Alex Street had to be alert to keep out Shelton Payne's 25-yard sweet drive mid-way through the second period. Street got down well to push the forward's effort out for a corner.

Gary Mills, who re-signed for the Linnets on loan for the rest of the season from Boston, was brought on in the 66th minute but it was Trafford, who had a golden opportunity to equalise when Paul Ashton drove wide of the near post after more good work from Payne.

Lynn had the chance to put the game to bed in the 77th minute when the home side's keeper Kieran O'Hara produced a great save to deny Jack McGovern from a free kick.

Trafford were then reduced to eight men following seven minutes of second-half madness. First, Rory Fallon was given his marching orders for a second yellow card and then Tom Schofield followed suit after an ill-timed tackle.

Despite the Manchester side's numerical handicap it was they who finished the game the stronger and could have grabbed an unlikely equaliser right at the death.