Tracey and Amelia Williamson win exciting Carrick Cup final
- Credit: Archant
The formidable mother and daughter pairing of Tracey and Amelia Williamson lifted the Carrick Cup at Sheringham Golf Club on Sunday after beating fellow county players Jo Ashmore and Ellie Brown two up.
There was never more than one hole between the pairs on the front nine and it was still all-square after 13.
But the Williamsons then won the 14th and 16th holes to go two up and although their opponents from Barnham Broom reduced the arrears at the next the Royal Cromer duo won the last to secure the silverware.
It is a busy spell for Norfolk Ladies' golf, with the Gillieson final taking place at Thetford on Sunday (1pm) as Bawburgh take on a Swaffham team who are looking for a first ever win in the county competition.
The Young Cup, which saw two Royal Norwich pairs featuring a sister on either side battle it out at Wensum Valley, was won by Jo Herd and Hope Neild who beat Mary Cartwright and Eve Neild 3&1.
You may also want to watch:
The competition, bearing the name of former county champion Karen Young, provides an opportunity for women to play foursomes against pairs from other clubs, with many juniors cutting their competitive teeth in it.
The County Medal (Greenie Roberts Salver) and the Brister Salver took place at Sheringham, with 52 players taking part.
- 1 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 2 Five former MoD homes go up for sale near Norwich
- 3 Two fires in two hours on mid-Norfolk road
- 4 Roadside restaurant aiming to re-open before Christmas
- 5 Christmas Lights Walk with toasted marshmallows coming to garden
- 6 MP and parents concerned over traffic and parking chaos outside school
- 7 Seal charity to take 'unprecendented' action to protect Norfolk seal colony
- 8 Met Office issues warning for thunderstorms in Norfolk
- 9 Family forced to live in tent after maggots and rats found in home
- 10 Two people arrested during police operation in south Norfolk
The winner of the County Medal and the Brister Salver was Ann Fletcher of Ryston Park with a net 71. The winner, on countback, of the EM and M Scratch Salver, was Amelia Williamson with a gross 74.
Meanwhile, 21 teams enjoyed the weather and the golf as Costessey Park staged the County Waltz competition.
Jo Barnard, Mary Tuddenham, Philly Bond and Fran Johnson from Bawburgh were the worthy winners with a score of 97 points.
Further afield the Marston's Beer PGA Autumn Classic at Felixstowe Ferry was won by Crue Elliott (Sandy Lodge) and amateur partner Ben Garcia with 82 Stableford points.
In a desperately tight competition Michael Skipper and Sharon Allen from Eaton led the Norfolk challenge with 81 points to finish fifth while Royal Cromer's Lee Patterson and Jayne Jones were tied ninth on 77.