Tonbridge 3, Lowestoft Town 3

The strength of character and resilience of Lowestoft Town came to the fore on Saturday as they fought back from a three-goal deficit to claim a well-deserved point in a six-goal thriller.

Michael Frew was given his first start since signing from Corby but Andrew Cave-Brown was ruled out through the hamstring injury sustained in midweek.

Although they started brightly the Lowestoft defence suffered a torrid 20 minutes with uncharacteristic mistakes seeing Tonbridge move into a three-goal lead.

With 17 minutes gone Jay Hay fed the ball through to Frannie Collin whose shot was turned round a post by Andy Reynolds. From the resultant corner Jon Beales headed Tonbridge head, the ball squirming through Andy Reynolds' hands.

Worse was to follow for the Blues in the 24th minute as Tonbridge increased their lead with a well-worked corner routine. The flag-kick was played low back to the edge of the area, dummied by Lewis Taylor and played back into the area by Jon Heath where Frannie Collin was left unmarked to shoot home from close range off the inside of a post.

You may also want to watch:

Tonbridge were three up in the 34th minute as Lowestoft carelessly gave the ball away on the halfway line for Jay Hay to send Ade Olorunda away down the right, and Hay was on hand to steer his low cross wide of Reynolds.

Lowestoft's fightback started four minutes later as they were awarded a free-kick a yard inside the Tonbridge half wide on the right.

Most Read

Captain Greg Crane, seeing the keeper off his line, caught him unaware as he blasted the free-kick just under the bar from fully 50 yards.

The second half saw Lowestoft dominate for long periods, creating chances, but it was not until the 81st minute that they were able to reduce the arrears.

Substitute Matt Halliday picked out Joe Francis on the left. He carried the ball forward before crossing for dale Cockrill to race in and score with a near-post header.

With Tonbridge clearly rocking, Lowestoft pressed forward and got their due rewards with an equalising goal five minutes from time.

Lee McGlone was fouled just outside the Tonbridge in the inside-right channel. As Adam Smith shaped to take the free-kick most Trawlerboy supporters were expecting a shot at goal. But instead he floated the ball into the area where Michael Frew shot home from close range.

Blues' management team of Micky Chapman, Ady Gallagher and Craig Fleming were delighted with the character shown by their players and felt that if the game had gone on for another few minutes a win was on the cards.

• Tonbridge: Worgan, Walder (Sub Beecroft 88), Heath, Taylor, Judge (Sub Miles 71), Beales, Browning, Piper, Hay, Collin, Olorunda. Subs (not used) Kinch, Logan, Hollyoak.

• Lowestoft: Reynolds, Gaughran (Sub Halliday 71), Smith, Fisk, Crane, Haynes-Brown, Mitchell, Cockrill, McGlone, Frew (Sub Forshaw 88), Francis. Subs (not used) Godbold, Nolan, Stock

• Attendance: 631.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter