Toleman scores vital goal as Norwich Dragons win again
- Credit: Archant
Norwich Dragons made it back-to-back wins in the Premier Division by seeing off bottom-of-the-table visitors Old Loughtonians 2-1.
A strike on goal from Liv Thomas deflected high and over the head of the keeper to put the hosts 1-0 up.
But Old Loughs got themselves back on level terms before the break when the best efforts of Siobhan Cleeve and Lara Taylor couldn't prevent a shot from creeping over the line.
Dragons created plenty of chances in the second half and eventually a lovely piece of play down the right culminated into a perfectly-placed ball across the face of goal and Marie James dummied the keeper for Hayley Toleman to slot home the all important winner. While not the best 70 minutes of hockey the team has played, the display demonstrated the Dragons' ability to close out a game.
Norwich City maintained their position at the top of Division 1N with a 4-0 win over St Ives.
You may also want to watch:
Krystal Bishop drew the keeper and fired into the far corner to open the scoring in the first half.
Bishop doubled the lead after the interval and further goals from Felicity Williams and Suzy Mitchell put the icing on the cake.
- 1 Woman who died in A47 collision named
- 2 WATCH: Cars float on high tide in north Norfolk
- 3 Pedestrian dies after being hit by lorry on A47
- 4 Norfolk Broads boating holiday company named best in Britain
- 5 Family's tribute to 'gentle giant' killed in A134 crash
- 6 Teacher who supported hundreds of children through education dies aged 67
- 7 "I thought I had freshers flu, but Drs said I could have died within a week"
- 8 'People are dying': Up to 500 patients waited for ambulance in one night
- 9 Queen spends the night in hospital, Palace confirms
- 10 Orionids meteor shower to peak tonight
City were in action again the following day in the EH Knock-out Cup and came away from Dereham with a 3-1 win (Olivia Williams 2, Felicity Williams).
Back in the league Harleston Magpies II won 4-1 at UEA to remain behind City only on goal difference, with a game in hand.
Dereham came away from Lowestoft with a 2-1 win to move up to fourth while Watton were unable to make it three victories on the trot as they crashed to a 6-2 home defeat against Newmarket.
Dereham seconds, who were 2-1 winners over Yarmouth, continue to lead the way by a point in Division 2NE.
Dragons II conceded a goal in each half to go down 2-0 at second placed Ipswich and East Suffolk. The visitors didn't offer enough threat going forward but battled hard throughout, with every player giving all they had, notably Kiera Goymour who earned a deserved player-of-the-match award.
Norwich City II came away from Magpies III with all three points after an exciting 4-3 win (Hannah Jarvis 2, Hannah Bush, Alice Gill).