Tilbury 1 Wroxham 0 – Yachtsmen in need of a time-out
- Credit: Archant
Wroxham came home disappointed after a single goal settled the issue at Tilbury.
The day didn't start well for Wroxham, with a traffic jam in Norfolk delaying their arrival – they turned up as their opponents were warming up, although kick-off time remained the same.
After a scrappy opening, Wroxham began to get into the game. Jordan King played a through ball to the forward running Matty Waters, who couldn't get his effort on target.
Wroxham kept up the pressure midway through the first half with a series of corners, with David Hinton denied by West Ham loanee keeper Clarke Bogard.
Five minutes later, great movement from Nathan Stone got him into a one-on-one, but he skewed his shot wide.
You may also want to watch:
A good move between King and Stone ended with King brought down on the edge of the penalty area. Hinton's shot lacked power, but he still forced another smart save from Bogard.
The start of the second half saw Tilbury have a number of chances, but Yachtsmen keeper Elliot Pride pulled out the save of the game to keep the scores level.
- 1 Extent of Norwich Prison Covid outbreak revealed
- 2 Village care home confirms coronavirus outbreak
- 3 Tributes to 'Winkle' - the legendary landlord who broke the mould
- 4 'Sounded like my roof was coming off': RAF jet sonic boom heard over city
- 5 Town clerk sacked following months of controversy
- 6 Mansion for sale for £2.5million with helicopter pad
- 7 New drive-thru McDonald's to create 65 jobs
- 8 Flood alerts across Norfolk ahead of expected rain
- 9 Police concerned for welfare of missing 14-year-old girl
- 10 'My heart was racing' - Horse rider's shocking encounter with speeding van
The only goal came on 61 minutes. Tilbury's Francis Babalola went past two Wroxham players on the left before he was brought down by Jack Garrod.
Tony Martin hit an unstoppable free-kick to the top left-hand corner, giving Pride no chance.
The goal prompted the introduction of debutant Steve Holder, for Waters, and with five minutes left, a scramble in the box saw an effort by Jack Garrod saved from close range.
Tilbury: Bogard, Mead, J Cook, Nightingill, Smith, Aiken, Babalola, Carlile, H Cook (Austin 90), Martin (Edmunds 69). Subs not used: Pooley, Hanlon, Webb.
Wroxham: Pride, Taylor, Rust, Hinton, Halliday, Sommerfield, Garrod, Howell, Stone, King, Waters (Holder 73). Subs not used: Gee, Grady, Forshaw.