Thurlow Nunn round-up: Norwich United place one hand on title after win over rivals

Norwich United FC (yellow/blue) against Godmanchester Rovers in the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division. L

Norwich United FC (yellow/blue) against Godmanchester Rovers in the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division. Lee Mason and Matthew Daniels, right, for Norwich United. Picture: DENISE BRADLEY - Credit: Copyright: Archant 2015

Norwich United took a huge step towards the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division title thanks to a 2-1 victory over nearest rivals Godmanchester Rovers.

Goals from Andy Eastaugh and Ben Thompson gave the Planters all three points to extend their advantage over second-placed Rovers to 14 points and, with a game in hand, surely the championship is on its way to Plantation Park.

Third-placed Stanway Rovers were unable to take advantage of Godmanchester's slip-up as they were beaten 2-1 by Kirkley & Pakefield. Goals from Ross King and Jordan Haverson gave the Royals victory as the Walmer Road side maintained their excellent form under caretaker boss Marty Hubble.

Gorleston fell to a disappointing 2-1 defeat at home to Felixstowe & Walton as the Seasiders became the first side this season to do the double over the Greens.

Felixstowe took the lead midway through the half. Rhys Barber powered a header goalwards, the ball hitting the underside of the bar, bouncing down onto the line and back out to where Ryan Clark was the only one following in, for a simple finish. Five minutes later Gorleston came close to an equaliser when Keegan Middleton's free-kick dipping nicely but bounced away off the top of the bar with the keeper beaten. Felixstowe increased their lead before break thanks to Danny Smy's shot-cum-cross.

You may also want to watch:

Bradley Hough replaced McKay at half-time and the Greens man gave his side hope in the 81st minute. Middleton's corner was fumbled by Crump and Lambert picked up the loose ball and crossed it back in to where Hough spectacularly hit an overhead kick into the net but it wasn't enough.

Swaffham Town went top of Division One after a comprehensive 4-0 win over Leiston Reserves.

Most Read

The deadlock broken after 20 minutes, Dylan Edge played through to slip the ball wide of the keeper from ten yards. Leading goal scorer Alex Vincent made it two just two minutes later, meeting a whipped in cross from Edge, on the half volley. Leiston were reduced to 10 men on the hour mark and Andy Porter made it 3-0 shortly after the home side's afternoon was summed up late on when a defender put through his own net to complete the scoring.

Great Yarmouth's promotion hopes were given a boost after a 1-0 win over Team Bury. Jason Anderson got the Bloaters' goal leaving them in fourth place, three points behind Saffron Walden, with a game in hand.

A hat-trick from Karl Tansley helped Downham to a 4-2 victory over Stowmarket. Jon Sykes completed the scoring for the west Norfolk side.

Dereham Town Reserves were beaten 2-0 at home by Debenham whilst King's Lynn's second string were held to a 0-0 draw at home to Halstead.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter