Thurlow Nunn round-up: Great Yarmouth Town claim top scalp to join Norwich United in FA Vase draw

Norfolk Senior Cup, Mulbarton v Diss Town.Picture by SIMON FINLAY.

Norfolk Senior Cup, Mulbarton v Diss Town.Picture by SIMON FINLAY. - Credit: Archant Norfolk

The Wembley dream is still alive for Norwich United and Great Yarmouth.

Damian Hilton's United side are seemingly invincible at the moment - they lead the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division by six points and go into the hat for today's FA Vase third round draw after a 2-1 home win over AFC Kempston Rovers, their goals coming from Matt Blake and Ben Jones.

Joining them will be First Division Great Yarmouth Town, who pulled off a terrific 2-0 home win over reigning Premier Division champions Hadleigh United, thanks to a Mitch Forbes penalty and Connor Deeks' fine solo effort 20 minutes from time.

Wisbech Town are also in the draw, after a 2-1 home win over Cleethorpes Town, but it proved to be the end of the road for Fakenham Town who went down 3-0 at Yaxley. Kirkley & Pakefield also went out, losing 3-2 at AFC Dunstable yesterday afternoon.

There was a curtailed Premier Division programme because of Vase and Norfolk Senior Cup commitments, but Thetford Town will be happy they didn't fall into the 'after the Lord Mayor's show' category, after taking a point in a 2-2 draw at Felixstowe & Walton United. The Brecklanders pulled off a Senior Cup shock in midweek when they knocked out Norwich City Under-21s and might be a little disappointed that they twice threw away the lead at Felixstowe. Ryan Pearson put Thetford ahead on 21 minutes, only for the hosts to level just before half-time. Sub Ollie Standley restored Thetford's lead on 78 minutes, less than a minute after coming on, but the hosts earned a point with a leveller six minutes from time.

In the Senior Cup, there were wins for Diss, holders Gorleston and Anglian Combination Scole United.

Diss were 4-2 winners at Mulbarton Wanderers, after extra-time – the score was 1-1 after 90 minutes – while Gorleston also needed an extra 30 minutes to overcome First Division Downham Town 3-1 and Scole reached the quarter-finals after beating Dersingham Rovers 4-0, with goals from Billy Davies (2), James Harrison and David Coleman.

Most Read

Gorleston – who have recruited axed Diss boss Mike Derbyshire to their joint management team – were made to battle all the way by a determined Downham outfit, now managed by Bob Warby.

Downham took the lead after 15 minutes – keeper Liam Hembling scuffed a clearance from just outside his box, the ball falling nicely to Matt Calvert who hit it back over the keeper's head and into the goal.

Downham keeper Joe Clements was keeping his side ahead almost single-handedly, but he was beaten by a Keegan Middleton penalty on the hour mark after Harry Porter used his arm to prevent the ball crossing the line, earning a red card.

Eight minutes into extra-time Gorleston went ahead through sub Scott Woodgate and midway through the second period Nathan Russell made it 3-1.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter