Thurlow Nunn League round-up: Thompson at the double to keep Norwich United in control
- Credit: Archant Norfolk
Norwich United's grip on the top of the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division shows no signs of weakening.
A 4-0 blitz of Wivenhoe Town at Plantation Park on Saturday keeps Damian Hilton's side three points ahead of Godmanchester Rovers – 2-1 home winners over Brantham Athletic – with a game in hand and a goal difference advantage of three.
Both sides face away trips at the weekend – United at Fakenham and Godmanchester at Ely City – and Hilton will be hoping to start the new year in pole position.
Two goals from Ben Thompson plus one each for Matt Blake and Andrew Easthaugh earned the win for the Planters
The news for other Norfolk clubs was mixed. Kirkley & Pakefield were 2-0 home winners over Ipswich Wanderers, but Fakenham were held at home while Gorleston and Thetford shared the spoils at Emerald Park and Diss Town were thumped again.
You may also want to watch:
Kyle Baker got the goals which see Kirkley enter the Christmas period in third place in the table – scoring in the 20th and 87th minutes.
Gorleston and Thetford drew 1-1 – but for an hour it looked like the visitors would be going home with a valuable victory.
- 1 Two Norfolk hotels named among the best in the country
- 2 Family's anger at sentencing of driver who killed 'kind and caring' nan
- 3 Jonny to the rescue! Boyfriend springs into action after coffee spill drama
- 4 Man dies following crash between tractor and car
- 5 What might happen to former Debenhams store in city centre?
- 6 Former policeman to appear in court accused of rape
- 7 Farmhouse sells at auction after 60 bids - but how much did it go for?
- 8 Wife's tribute to horse-loving 'true-gentleman' after inquest
- 9 Life sentence for convicted rapist who attempted to murder Norfolk woman
- 10 The Original Factory Shop opens its doors in north Norfolk
Thetford struggled to raise a side and had just 11 players, with no substitutes, but with a decent run of form under their belts were confident.
On 28 minutes, Gorleston gave the ball away in the middle of the park and Olly Stanley was through on goal. Jack Whatmough raced from his line but was never going to get there and Stanley simply took it around the keeper and passed into the empty net.
But Gorleston nicked a point when Keegan Middleton won possession 20 yards out and slotted in Joel Watts who made no mistake, blasting the ball into the roof of the net.
Ash Jarvis put Fakenham Town ahead after 30 minutes at home to Ely, who levelled 10 minutes later.
In the First Division, Great Yarmouth Town went down 1-0 at Debenham LC while Swaffham Town moved into fourth spot after a 1-1 draw at home to Halstead, Matthew Parkinson earning the point in time added on.
Dereham Town were without a game, but their reserves thumped Leiston Reserves 5-2, with first-team regular Michael Clunan claiming a hat-trick, with extras from Charles Clarke and Toby Hilliard.
Downham Town beat visiting Woodbridge 4-0, with a brace apiece for Mark Smith and Chris Sharp.