Thurlow Nunn League round-up: Swaffham Town going up with just one slot left for the taking
- Credit: Eastern Daily Press © 2015
Swaffham Town and Long Melford are celebrating after gaining promotion to the Premier Division.
Alex Vincent hit a brace and Joe Jackson also found the net as Paul Hunt's Pedlars won 3-2 at Braintree Town Reserves to end their seven-year absence from the top-flight. Melford's 4-1 win at Dereham Town Reserves was their eighth victory in succession and clinched promotion to Step Five of the non-league ladder for the first time in their history.
Barring some unlikely scores in the final round of matches on Saturday, Melford – three points clear and with a far superior goal difference – will go up as First Division champions.
The fight to join the duo in going up is very much up for grabs following Great Yarmouth Town's surprise 3-0 defeat at home to Debenham LC. Saffron Walden Town have moved back into third place after coming from behind to beat Woodbridge Town 3-1. The Bloaters entertain in-form Downham Town – 3-0 weekend winners at Cornard United – tomorrow knowing a win will put them back above SWT on goal difference with one match left to play – which sees Yarmouth visit Walden in what could be the true essence of a make-or-break fixture.
Elsewhere in the second tier, a Jack Frohawk brace inspired King's Lynn Town Reserves to a 2-0 win at Stowmarket.
You may also want to watch:
Premier Division champions Norwich United edged Felixstowe & United 1-0 (Ben Thompson) while Kirkley & Pakefield, fourth – a point off second-placed Stanway Rovers – still have a chance of finishing runners-up after an impressive 3-0 victory over Brantham.
Thetford Town's 2-0 win at Hadleigh United ended any lingering fears of going down while in other action, relegated duo Diss Town and Ely City drew 1-1, Fakenham and Ipswich Wanderers played out a stalemate and the spoils were also shared by Gorleston and FC Clacton (1-1).
- 1 The areas where Covid rates have fallen the fastest since lockdown began
- 2 'Small number' of staff at town's Tesco test positive for Covid-19
- 3 ‘I cried so much’ - Mum-of-four on impact of whole family having Covid
- 4 Pretty thatched cafe on Broads up for sale for £75,000
- 5 'We're all shocked' - Butchers shop attacked by vandals
- 6 Shock as cannabis factory found in quiet Broads' village
- 7 Escape to the Country names 'north Norfolk's seaside capital'
- 8 Bus crashes into lorry in Norwich
- 9 Body discovered in Thetford Forest Park
- 10 Child groomer caught by seven paedophile hunter groups