Thurlow Nunn League preview: Gorleston keen to get back to winning ways
- Credit: Nick Butcher
In-form Gorleston go in search of their eighth win in nine games when they welcome Stanway Rovers to Emerald Park.
The Greens' seven-match winning streak came to an end on Saturday as they were held by Godmanchester Rovers in the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division. But they are still just two points off third, which two games in hand, and will leapfrog Felixstowe United if they lose at Thetford Town and Stewart Larter's side beat Stanway. A shock win for Thetford would also dramatically boost their hopes of avoiding relegation to the First Division. They are just one point, and two places, above the dreaded drop zone.
Immediately above them are Diss Town who have enjoyed a mixed start to life under Mike Derbyshire. He won his first game in charge but lost the second to leave them needing something positive from their trip to Newmarket Town to ease their own worries of going down.
Elsewhere, Kirkley & Pakefield host Hadleigh United while Norwich United travel to Walsham-le-Willows.
In the First Division, three Norfolk sides harbour serious ambitions of gaining promotion to the Eastern Counties' League's top-flight. Swaffham Town, third visit AFC Sudbury Reserves while Fakenham Town – a point and a place behind them but with two games in hand – travel to Stowmarket Town. Great Yarmouth Town, eighth, travel to Braintree Town Reserves. And although their hopes of finishing in the top three look the least likeliest of the high-flying trio, boss Lee Hackleton hasn't given up on looking upwards as the season reaches its closing stages.
You may also want to watch:
He said: 'I said before Tuesday that we could drop five points and still have a chance of getting third. We've lost three and if we get what would be a good draw at Braintree we'd drop two more. Then the rest of our games would be cup finals. That's realistically how we're looking at it.'
Elsewhere, Downham Town welcome Debenham LC while Dereham Town Reserves travel to Needham Market Reserves.
- 1 Drink driver arrested after crashing into two trees in Norwich
- 2 Norwich hairdresser, former boxer and bodybuilder, dies from Covid
- 3 Yellow weather warning for snow in place across region
- 4 Jack-knifed lorry shuts A148 as police issue ice warning
- 5 9 of Norfolk's most famous blue plaques
- 6 The secrets and scandals of a former Norwich hotel
- 7 Atlantis Tower up for sale after owner signs ‘outrageous’ loan deal
- 8 Map reveals the most serious crashes on the NDR since it fully opened
- 9 It's 'a long, long way' until lockdown restrictions are lifted - Hancock
- 10 Crash boy's mum says he's 'badly shaken but OK'