Thurlow Nunn League: Norwich United looking to complete double
Norwich United will attempt to clinch a league and cup double this afternoon and sign off the most successful season in their history.
Damian Hilton's men face Walsham le Willows in the League Challenge Cup at Diss Town's Brewers Green Lane ground (3pm) after a season in which they have dominated Eastern Counties football.
Hilton's men go in to the game on the back of only their third league defeat of the season, having been beaten 2-1 at home by Brantham Athletic on Saturday. But with the title already in the bag and the official presentations on the agenda, the result mattered little. United's supporters' player of the season Matt Blake got the goal.
Godmanchester confirmed the runners-up spot, 16 points in arrears.
Kirkley & Pakefield finished fourth after a goalless draw at home to Whitton, having made a seamless transition to the stewardship of Marty Hubble following the departure of Jamie Godbold to AFC Sudbury in January.
You may also want to watch:
Gorleston's good end-of-season run continued with a 4-1 home win over Haverhill Rovers. It's now four matches unbeaten for the Greens, who end the campaign in 12th position. Joel Watts put Gorleston ahead on eight minutes, but the visitors were soon level, through an Aaron Taylor own goal.
Eight minutes later Gorleston were back in front from an unlikely source as Thomas Daniels unleashed an unstoppable shot from 25 yards into the bottom corner for his only goal of the season and his second ever in a Gorleston shirt.
- 1 'We're all shocked' - Butchers shop attacked by vandals
- 2 Body discovered in Thetford Forest Park
- 3 Shock as cannabis factory found in quiet Broads' village
- 4 Pretty thatched cafe on Broads up for sale for £75,000
- 5 The areas where Covid rates have fallen the fastest since lockdown began
- 6 'Small number' of staff at town's Tesco test positive for Covid-19
- 7 ‘I cried so much’ - Mum-of-four on impact of whole family having Covid
- 8 Norwich Debenhams looks doomed as Boohoo to buy brand
- 9 Bus crashes into lorry in Norwich
- 10 Norwich hairdresser, former boxer and bodybuilder, dies from Covid
With eight minutes remaining Gorleston secured the three points when Bradley Hough scored – and promptly added another five minutes later.
Thetford Town went down 2-1 at Stanway Rovers to finish in 14th place while it was a familiar story for relegated Diss Town, who went down 1-0 at home to Felixstowe & Walton United.