Thurlow Nunn League: Norwich United and Fakenham both celebrate significant victories
Norwich United moved to within one win of retaining their Premier Division title after an impressive victory at Walmer Road last night.
The Planters were given a good run for their money by their hosts, but came through the test with flying colours and will now be crowned champions again on Saturday if they beat fourth placed Felixstowe and Walton at Plantation Park. Even if they faltered at the weekend they would still have three more games to secure the silverware.
The visitors took just eight minutes to move ahead as Matt Daniels' deflected shot found the back of the net, but the Royals were back on level terms 10 minutes later through Jordan Haverson. United quickly regrouped however, with James Page firing home on 23 minutes, and another long range effort from Jamie Speller five minutes from the end secured the three points.
There was also a significant result at the other end of the table as Fakenham Town moved out of the bottom two with a hard-fought 1-0 victory over Thetford Town at Clipbush Park.
The hero of night was Ashley Jarvis, who scored the only goal of the game on the hour mark after bursting through and flicking the ball past the keeper. That made it seven points from a possible nine for the Ghosts.
Great Yarmouth Town suffered a surprise home defeat in Division One, with lowly visitors Downham Town scoring the only goal of the game, but remain well placed to claim promotion.
- 1 Pub transformed into 'breathtaking' family home for sale for almost £1m
- 2 Delays expected with A47 to close in both directions for 15 miles
- 3 Man accidentally downloaded indecent images of children, court hears
- 4 Family 'increasingly concerned' about missing Beccles woman
- 5 Man had cocaine hidden in car when stopped by police
- 6 Norse chief executive quits for personal reasons
- 7 Here are the new Covid travel rules which begin today
- 8 Trains cancelled after lorry crashes into bridge
- 9 New Burger King site approved in city centre
- 10 Flood alert on the Broads due to high water levels