Thurlow Nunn League: Norwich United and Fakenham both celebrate significant victories
Norwich United moved to within one win of retaining their Premier Division title after an impressive victory at Walmer Road last night.
The Planters were given a good run for their money by their hosts, but came through the test with flying colours and will now be crowned champions again on Saturday if they beat fourth placed Felixstowe and Walton at Plantation Park. Even if they faltered at the weekend they would still have three more games to secure the silverware.
The visitors took just eight minutes to move ahead as Matt Daniels' deflected shot found the back of the net, but the Royals were back on level terms 10 minutes later through Jordan Haverson. United quickly regrouped however, with James Page firing home on 23 minutes, and another long range effort from Jamie Speller five minutes from the end secured the three points.
There was also a significant result at the other end of the table as Fakenham Town moved out of the bottom two with a hard-fought 1-0 victory over Thetford Town at Clipbush Park.
The hero of night was Ashley Jarvis, who scored the only goal of the game on the hour mark after bursting through and flicking the ball past the keeper. That made it seven points from a possible nine for the Ghosts.
You may also want to watch:
Great Yarmouth Town suffered a surprise home defeat in Division One, with lowly visitors Downham Town scoring the only goal of the game, but remain well placed to claim promotion.
- 1 Extent of Norwich Prison Covid outbreak revealed
- 2 Village care home confirms coronavirus outbreak
- 3 Tributes to 'Winkle' - the legendary landlord who broke the mould
- 4 'Sounded like my roof was coming off': RAF jet sonic boom heard over city
- 5 Mansion for sale for £2.5million with helicopter pad
- 6 Town clerk sacked following months of controversy
- 7 Escape to the Country names 'north Norfolk's seaside capital'
- 8 Flood alerts across Norfolk ahead of expected rain
- 9 New drive-thru McDonald's to create 65 jobs
- 10 Police concerned for welfare of missing 14-year-old girl