Thurlow Nunn League: Great Yarmouth Town cut down Waltham Forest to lead way for FA Vase hopefuls
- Credit: Eastern Daily Press © 2014
Great Yarmouth Town go into today's FA Vase draw after an excellent away win over Step Five opponents Waltham Forest.
First-half goals from Leighton Crux and Kyle Ingram set Ricci Butler's Bloaters on their way to a 2-1 victory in the first round proper clash.
Fakenham Town join them in the draw after a 4-0 win at Irchester United, Ashley Jarvis put the Ghosts ahead on 26 minutes and added a second on 69 minutes. If there were any nerves in the closing minutes then Matty Dye eased them with Fakenham's third – and his first for the club – as the game went into time added on and there was still time for Robbie Harris to make it 4-0.
No such joy for neighbours Gorleston and Kirkley & Pakefield – Gorleston went down 2-0 at high-flying United Counties League outfit Holbeach United, while the Royals lost 3-2 at home to Colney Heath.
Kirkley were effectively knocked out inside the opening half an hour when they conceded three goals. Matty Brown pulled one back before half-time and Ian Hunter scored just two minutes after the break to make it 3-2.
You may also want to watch:
Gorleston had been aware that Holbeach would make a fast start, and they weren't disappointed – the hosts hit the woodwork three times in the opening exchanges. The first goal came in time added on in the first half, when Lee Beeson latched on to a cross from the left to turn the ball past Liam Hembling into the net.
Holbeach increased their lead in the 64th minute after Gorleston failed to clear their lines, allowing Livo Dube to cross for Jamie Clarke to sidefoot home.
- 1 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 2 Body of man in 20s found at nature reserve near Norwich
- 3 Sky broadband issues across Norfolk and Suffolk resolved
- 4 Drug dealer walks free from court for his 145th offence
- 5 Shocked couple told statue used as doorstop could be worth £1m
- 6 New landlords relaunch pub with three-course dog menu
- 7 Clean-up operation begins as town 'flooded completely' by heavy rain
- 8 'Is this a wind up?' - Artist's shock as Delia buys 101 of his paintings
- 9 Watch: Woman left bleeding and bruised after e-scooter crash
- 10 Plot of gold? Land up for sale for £750,000
Yarmouth and Fakenham will be joined in today's draw by Norwich United, who had a bye – but spent Saturday afternoon consolidating their place as Thurlow Nunn Premier Division leaders with a 2-1 win at Haverhill, courtesy of goals from Ross Durrant and Matt Blake.
The Planters are eight points clear of Newmarket Town, who were 2-0 home winners over Clacton.
Diss Town picked up win number two in 15 attempts, beating visiting Brantham Athletic 3-1 with goals from Ady Agar, Matt Dixon and Chris Holmes.
The Tangerines remain rooted to the bottom of the Premier Division, on the same number of points as Ely City but from one game more and with an inferior goal difference.
In the First Division, there was a home point for Downham Town, who drew 2-2 with Braintree Town Reserves, while King's Lynn Town Reserves were held to the same scoreline at The Walks by AFC Sudbury Reserves. The Linnets goals came from Nelson Moriera and Ben Coe.