Thurlow Nunn League: Goals aplenty as Thetford earn point at Kirkley & Pakefield

Shaun Hunsdon celebrates opening the scoring for Thetford in their 4-4 draw at Kirkley & Pakefield.

Shaun Hunsdon celebrates opening the scoring for Thetford in their 4-4 draw at Kirkley & Pakefield. Pictures: Nick Butcher - Credit: Nick Butcher

Walmer Road was the place to be for entertainment in the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division, where Kirkley & Pakefield played out an eight-goal thriller with Thetford.

Over 130 people were packed in for the clash and saw Thetford surge into a 2-0 lead thanks to two goals in the opening three minutes.

The visitors, buoyed by a 5-2 home victory over fellow strugglers Fakenham earlier in the week, saw Shaun Hunsdon fire them ahead and then Robbie Priddle head home to double the lead soon after.

Jordan Haverson halved the deficit for the Royals in the 35th minute but Thetford made it 3-1 three minutes later, Ryan Pearson scoring directly from a long-range free-kick.

Matthew Brown brought Kirkley back into the game shortly after the break and skipper Ross King then equalised in the 60th minute.

You may also want to watch:

The Brecklanders again took the lead in the 78th minute, Ian Fancett scoring after good work from Priddle, but King again levelled the score soon after to see the clash finish 4-4.

With Saffron Walden and Walsham le Willows both drawing, the result keeps Thetford two points from safety.

Most Read

Walden were held to a 1-1 draw by Fakenham, thanks to player-manager Robbie Harris salvaging a draw in stoppage time.

Craig Calver looked to have stolen the win for the Essex side late in the second half but Harris saved the day in the 92nd minute, flicking over the keeper from close range.

Walsham were also held to a 1-1 draw, at home by Gorleston. The Greens were also thankful for a late goal after Andrew Wood had headed Walsham in front in the 24th minute.

Peter Lambert was the Gorleston hero, heading home after Kyle Ingram nodded a Harley Clements cross back across goal, to extend the Greens' unbeaten run to five matches.

Norwich United extended their lead at the top of the table to nine points, thanks to nearest rivals Felixstowe and Walton United being held to a 0-0 draw at Long Melford.

Two goals from top scorer Matt Blake led the reigning champions to a 2-1 win at Hadleigh United – taking his tally for the season to 32 goals in 28 matches.

There was a remarkable result for Great Yarmouth in the First Division, thrashing a young Needham Market Reserves side 9-0.

Eight of the goals came in the first half, with Chris Holmes scoring four, Duncan McAvoy two and Jordan Forbes and Ady Ager both also scoring, before Connor Deeks added a penalty in the second half.

King's Lynn Reserves lost 1-0 at home to second-placed Ely City and Pawel Guziejko's reign at Downham Town started with a 4-2 defeat at March Town United, Craig Dickson scoring both of Downham's goals.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter