Thousands to be spent on Olympic torch relay - what do you think?
Around �125,000 of taxpayers' money is to be spent on the passage of the Olympic torch through one county on a single day next year, it was revealed today.
Cornwall Council is to spend �75,000 and affiliated quango the Cornwall Development Company (CDC) is stumping up �50,000 to spend on publicity and marketing when the torch begins its 70-day tour of Britain on May 19.
The news comes days after it was revealed that the CDC is to employ a 'Project Officer Olympic Torch Relay' advertised with a salary of �19,689 (pro rata �13,126) for an eight-month contract starting in October, the cost of which is included in the total.
One local MP branded the move by the Conservative/independent council administration as 'bonkers' at a time when it is slashing hundreds of jobs.
You may also want to watch:
What do you think? Do you think councils should be spending this much money on such events? Email email@example.com
- 1 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 2 New Lidl supermarket opens in Norwich
- 3 'Unauthorised' headstones ruin family's final wishes
- 4 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 5 Hospital investigated over 'contentious' deaths goes bust owing £4m
- 6 Neighbours sick of road turning into 'scene from Fast & Furious'
- 7 Fresh weather warning with Storm Evert set to hit Norfolk
- 8 Man was found dead after lockdown hit business, inquest told
- 9 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
- 10 Anti-vax protesters descend on Norwich pub demanding entry