Thomas Mustapha brace gives Norwich United surprise Ridgeons League Challenge Cup victory over Wroxham

Two goals from Thomas Mustapha fired Norwich United into their first final for 20 years as they claimed a surprise 2-0 win over Wroxham on Saturday in the Ridgeons League Challenge Cup.

The ex-Yachtsmen, who joined the Planters from Trafford Park in the close season, scored once in each half as his pace caused the home defence problems throughout, inflicting the Yachtsmen's first home defeat since October. Wroxham had started the stronger, Andy Eastaugh glancing his sixth minute header wide from Ben Thompson's cross.

Mustapha but Norwich in front in the 22nd minute with an emphatic finish into the bottom corner of Scott Howie's net after being released with a lovely through ball from Carl Poppy.

With the Yachtsmen floundering on the rocks of the visiting defence Mustapha increased the lead 12 minutes after the interval, latching onto Ross King's headed flick on wide on the left before cutting in and firing home from the narrowest of angles.

Planters manager Paul Chick was delighted: 'We stuck to our task extremely well, we showed great enthusiasm, great discipline and a great desire for the game, and thoroughly deserved our win.'

In the league, Dereham claimed a creditable point at Brantham Athletic as Adam Gusterson bagged himself a brace.

Brantham looked the brighter side in the opening stages but it was the Magpies who gained the lead in the 27th minute when a cross into the Brantham area was finished well at the far post by Gusterson.

Most Read

Brantham had chances and a great move between David Grimwood and Simon Mann saw the ball played to Lee Grimwood whose first time strike hit the bar. Brantham finally drew level when from a corner Alex Drennan rose well to power a header home. A minute later Brantham were in the lead when Lee Grimwood, who had run and chased after every ball beat the defence and hit home past the advancing keeper.

Brantham had chances to add a third with Grimwood seeing a shot beat the keeper only to be cleared and Dan Pryke was put through but he hurried his shot and put it wide.

Dereham drew level when the ball was played into the Brantham area and Gusterson did enough to put Bedingfield off and the ball ended up in the net.

Perennial struggers Great Yarmouth Town put in a much-improved display at home to Wisbech Town although the Fenmen emerged with all three points thanks to Callum Reed's 65th minute strike.

• Diss will take on Framlingham Town in a friendly at Brewers Green Lane on Tuesday evening, kick-off 7.45pm.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter