Thetford Town move into second spot

Thetford Town manager Danny White.

Thetford Town manager Danny White. - Credit: Steve Adams

Thetford Town have moved into second spot in the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division after a comprehensive away win.

The Brecklanders were 3-0 winners at Hadleigh United, their goals coming from Ross Bailey, Jordan Attree and Sam Bond.

It leaves Danny White's team just two points behind leaders Mildenhall, who won by the same scoreline at Brantham Athletic.

Gorleston, who didn't play at the weekend, are down to third, with their local rivals Great Yarmouth Town in sixth spot after a 3-1 win at Godmanchester Rovers.

The Bloaters avenged their opening day 2-0 defeat in the FA Cup, taking a half-time lead through Chris Hall.

You may also want to watch:

Yarmouth added a second on 57 minutes with a cracker from Sean Perfect before the hosts pulled one back with a scrappy goal on 65 minutes.

But Sam Applegate extended Yarmouth's lead with 70 minutes on the clock with one of the goals of the season from a full 30 yards to make it six league games unbeaten.

Most Read

The big scorers of the day were Kirkley & Pakefield, who smashed 10 without reply past hapless FC Clacton, who have now lost all nine of their league games this season.

Ross King led the way with five goals, with Lee grabbing a brace and one each for Richard Woodrow, Miguel Lopez and Cameron Brooks

Fakenham went down 2-0 at Ipswich Wanderers while Swaffham Town suffered a 4-2 home defeat against Long Melford. That's 10 goals leaked in two league games for the Pedlars, although their preparations on Saturday were disrupted by delays on the A47. Nick Castellan and Ben Champion scored their goals.

In the First Division, Wisbech St Mary were 1-0 home winners over Whitton United, while King's Lynn Town Reserves were 3-0 winners at Braintree Town Reserves. March Town United drew 2-2 at home to Needham Market Reserves and Downham Town went down 3-0 at AFC Sudbury Reserves.

Wisbech Town failed to bounce back from their midweek FA Vase exit, going down 4-1 at Harborough Town in the United Counties League Premier Division.

The Fenmen were 2-0 down when they got on the scoresheet early in the second half through Harry Limb.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter